Author Topic: Transfer speed between Terastations  (Read 1524 times)

btempleton

• Calf
Transfer speed between Terastations
« on: January 31, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »

I have 2 TS-1.0TGL/R5 Terastations.  I want to back up from one to the other.  I am transferring approximately 15 GB per hour.  If I copy a file instead of using the Disk Backup in the web interface, I get about the same speed.  Both stations say 1000Mbps on the front panel.  Both stations are connected to a Netgear Switch in ports that are next to each other.  The Netgear says the ports are transmitting 1G Full.  I just upgraded the cable connecting the terastations to the switch to cat 6.  The speed did not change.  Before moving the second terastation to the Netgear switch, I had it connected to a 100Mb switch and I got 15 GP per hour there.  It did not help to move the station to a 1G connection.  The lights on the Netgear switch are green which indicates 1G.  The firmware is the latest 1.04.  Shouldn't a 1G connection do better than 15 GB per hour?  Is the limiting factor how fast the terastation can write?  I cannot use Jumbo Frames because the switch does not enable jumbo frames by port and I can't do it for the whole network.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Transfer speed between Terastations
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:03:51 PM »

Thats about average for these units. They do have gigabit built in the processor limits their transfer rate.