Author Topic: LinkStation Live and Mac OS X Snow Leopard  (Read 12732 times)

Garnele

• Calf
LinkStation Live and Mac OS X Snow Leopard
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »

Hy everybody

I just got a new LinkStation Live with 1TB Storage (LS-CH1.0TL). I wanted to set up time machine, but this didn't work: I set all the settings in the Webtool correct and was able to select the Time Machine Drive. But when I started the Backup it kicked me out after a minute or so saying it couldn't write a certain file (error 45). I have Mac OS X 10.6 (also known as Snow Leopard). Firmware of the drive is 1.07, I have no clue though whether it is a V1 or V2, NAS Navigator wont tell me even though I have Version 2.19. What should I do?

Another Question: Is it possible to back up a different computer (also Mac OS X 10.6) on the same drive too?

Thanks for your help, I'm starting to get annoyed with this thing, just spent more than an hour to get it to work.

Best, Garnele

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Live and Mac OS X Snow Leopard
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:58:18 AM »

By the firmware version you said you had it is a version 1.  You can back up multiple backups from diffrent PCs, you just cant have them going at the same time :smileywink:. 

Firmware of the drive is 1.07, I have no clue though whether it is a V1or V2, NAS Navigator wont tell me even though I have Version 2.19.

Do you have 1.07 or 2.19?  

Garnele

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:01:38 AM »

Hi

Sorry for being slightly unclear: Firmware of the device is 1.07, the NAS Navigator Software has version 2.19.

So lets say I have a hardware version 1, does this mean I can't use Time Machine on my Mac for the update with OS 10.6? Or what would I need to do to make this possible?

Best, Garnele

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 08:10:28 AM »
Ok now if the GUI or Interface is Red then you have the V2.  If you have the GUI with the Yellow and Blue then its the V1.  V1 has the Time Machine Fuction so you should be able to use it.  Still looking into the Time Machine Problem.

Garnele

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:14:07 AM »

Hi

Okay, I have V1 then, the GUI is blue. Would be great if you got Time Machine to work, might there be a problem due to the fact I use Mac OS X 10.6 and the LinkStation was developed under 10.5? According to Apple they have made quite some changes to Time Machine.

Please keep me updated, thanks!

Best, Garnele

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:51:12 AM »
Just as a stab in the dark, go ahead and reflash the firmware.  After you do that go to maintenance>initialization>restore.  It will restore it to defaults.  You wont have any data loss but you will lose your User Configurations.  See if that works. 

dambox

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »

I have just purchased a linkstation pro 2TB. It has firmware 1.10. I am running snow leopard. I am seeing the same problem. 

1. I point time machine at the drive

2. After 15 min's it comes back with an error: "......machinename.sparsebundle" could not be created (error 45)

Interestingly, if I look on the drive there is a file created there with that name. 

jdbmdos

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:58:48 PM »
   I was told in an email from Buffalo that they know there is this problem and the fixes so far are unstable. Any word yet from Buffalo when we frustrated users will have a patch?

appleaday3k

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:52:43 PM »
   Same problem,  New drive and Snow Leopard

dedetlse

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 04:56:18 AM »

same problem

linkstation live 1.07

mac os x 10.6.1

i get error 45 in time machine. :(

thilker

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 05:54:22 AM »

Hi!

I had the same problems (error 45).

When I disabled wlan on my iMac and wired it via lan to my router everything works.

For wlan I used the macadress of the wlan interface in the linkstation web admin tool. --> error 45

For lan I used the macadress of the lan interface in the linkstation web admin tool. --> no problem 

Maybe wlan works with the macadress of the lan interface.

I did not test this. 

Regards! 

tomik

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 06:20:56 AM »

If the Time machine won't work will the drive still be visible and fully working through Finder & iTunes etc ?

I don't use LinkStation for Time machine purpose (no RAID in my model...) so will I loose anything when upgrading from Leopard to Snow leopard? I do not use the Linkstation "tool" (NASNavigator) either, I only need the share to work and DLNA mediaserver too.

Message Edited by tomik on 09-12-2009 02:42 PM

thilker

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 06:44:51 AM »

I can't compare the behavior under OS X 10.5 and 10.6, because I bought the LS after installing 10.6

What I can say is, that everything is running(file sharing, DLNA, iTunes, etc.) here except:

Time machine over wlan

Auto wake up

Finding the LS in the lan to install firmware 1.21

Regards. 

tomik

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 07:06:45 AM »

thilker wrote:

I can't compare the behavior under OS X 10.5 and 10.6, because I bought the LS after installing 10.6

What I can say is, that everything is running(file sharing, DLNA, iTunes, etc.) here except:

Time machine over wlan

Auto wake up

Finding the LS in the lan to install firmware 1.21

Regards. 

Nice to know, thanks :). Now I can upgrade to 10.6.

jdbmdos

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 09:02:11 AM »
   Why doesn't some moderator from Buffalo post a reply to tell us all what we are doing wrong or when to expect a fix?