Author Topic: Snow Leopard Secure Disk Tool-"Secure Disk Tool software is missing!"  (Read 5867 times)

ibannerman

• Calf

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Macbook Pro to the latest Snow Leopard software.  Since then I have not been able to access my Security Drive (HDS-PH32OU2-US).  I try running the SecureDiskTool installer but afterwards it prompts me to restart and then place a broken alias for securedisktool on my desktop.  Also the folder is in my applications but it is empty.  Is there any quick fix for this issue.  I'm hoping for the best!!!

PATER

• Calf
Re: Snow Leopard Secure Disk Tool-"Secure Disk Tool software is missing!"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:16:48 AM »

The same thing happens over here. This is a HUUUGE Problem!

Please fix this asap! :smileysad:

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:29 AM »

When you refer to "over there" are you in the US or outside of the US?  If your outside of the US then you need to contact your local support.

ibannerman          the secure lock ware is avaible for download on our download section.  Secure Lock is a 3rd party software that we dont support. 

Message Edited by JoshC on 09-07-2009 07:43 AM

robitor

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:54:59 AM »
   Exact same problem here. When i click on the secure disk software it immediately crashes my computer running snow leopard. Phone tech support doesn't seem to understand that the software itself is incompatible with snow leopard as it is a 64 bit OS. Anyone have a workaround?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:55:56 AM »
Though the software may be recognized by us phone techs as incompatible we also know that Secure Lock Ware on 64-bit Vista doesn't work/isn't supported either. As for whether a fix will be available for this I'm not hearing anything from our higher ups as of this time. My apologies.

ballywho

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »

Same huge problem can't get to very crucial business data.

Can't download from site either broken link in order to install on older Mac in order to transfer data...

Help!!!! 

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »
   Mods - I think they are talking about the Secure Disk Tool that comes with the new security drives, which is different than the Secure Lockware download.
Message Edited by Memoryman on 09-21-2009 04:56 PM

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »

Buffalo Japan is working on this and they want to know:

What firmware revision are you running on the HDS unit and what revision of Secure Disk Tool are you using.

ibannerman - you wrote that the files in Secure Lockware were broken and erased - would you supply more detail about this symptom

If there are any other details - please list them and I'll get them to BT Japan.

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 03:44:36 PM »

still need to know which version of secure disc tool is running

and

ibannerman - you wrote that the files in Secure Lockware were broken and erased - would you supply more detail about this symptom

ibannerman

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
   Sorry for the late response.  I am using version 1.04 Secure Disc Tool.  Not sure what I meant by the broken files but I am not successful in locating any software that will work for the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »

Have you tried resetting up the software and the drive, as if you were setting it up the first time? (this will erase all data on the encrypted drive.

An install or upgrade to an OS can reset or lose your original settings.

Being as Secure Disk Tool is an application for encryption, it is important to have a non-encrypted backup of all important data before updating OSs.

frustrated_user

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

This Snow Leopard update really sucked. I can no longer use the portable hard drive anymore. I have uninstall my Disk-tool secure Disk Tool and try a fresh install with no luck. It says I need Mac OS older than 10.2 and lower than 10.4..   I feel this is a rip off, when I just purchase my portalble hard drive less than 4 months ago. Please get athis issue fix ASAP.

SnowLeopardMSN

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:32:03 AM »

I had the same problem when I just upgraded to Snow Leopard. Found a work-around, but it it quite cumbersome, so it would be nice a more long-term solution. After all, the product was marketed as working for both Mac and Windows computers.

The problem seems to be isolated to the Secure Disk Tool application, which needs to be installed on the Mac, to be able to write a password to access the HD. No installation seems to be needed on Windows, where it just pops up.

When I upgraded to Snow Leopard, I also bought Windows 7. I installed it using VirtualBox - which can be downloaded for free at http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads - so that I can run it side-by-side with Snow Leopard.

When Windows 7 is turned on, you plug in the external harddrive, and you will be asked for a password to access the harddrive. Type in the password. You will now gain access to the harddrive in the Windows virtual environment - but the hard disk will not appear in Snow Leopard, because only one of the operating systems will have access to the hard drive at any one time. You could now copy your files to a shared folder, and get them over to Snow Leopard. However, that would change all the creation dates of the folders, and I also encountered some errors when copying files with long names. Instead, shut down Windows 7. When Windows 7 relinquishes the hard drive, it pops up under Snow Leopard. Because the password was entered in Windows 7, there is no need to type a password, so the Secure Disk Tool application isn't needed.

This should work under any version of Windows, although I haven't tested it. So if there is so crucial data you really need, this is a possible way to get your hands on it. But it does require a working version Windows, and some storage on your computer (at least 10GB). 

Hope it helps, until an update is issued.

nishendu

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 04:19:53 AM »

Here it is 2011 and I am having problem with the same drive. When I installed snow leopard, the drive quit working because the secure tool would not work. I reinstalled the software from the wqeb site and now I get a massege about alias problem. I tried to look at apple forums, nothing worked. Bufallo appears to have no real trouble shooting area, so before I throw away that expensive drive, this is my last effort to find a solution. Needless to say this is disappointing.

Ther is no documentation about snow leopard problem. I think it should be in bold letters on the main page of website somewhere. I hope some one can have a step by step solution posted and not blame apple. It is easier to buy a new hard drive than by a new macbook pro.