Author Topic: Linkstation pro + vista woes  (Read 6091 times)

crucialguy

• Calf
Linkstation pro + vista woes
« on: November 06, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble with my link station restricted shares and accessing them on vista. I have it hooked up to my AD Domain and it's pulled in all the groups/users etc - on all the XP machines the shares work fine, and the permissions are intergrated with AD.

However on vista...it's not having it. It will just sit and wait whilst i click on a share, then prompt for a user/password. If i enter my domain password (which works on XP machines automatically) it will reject it. For some reason, the only way i can access shares from vista is by setting up a local user on the device and inputting that manually in the format ''NAS\User''

I've read about the problems with the NTLMv2 etc, but mine has had the fix applied and the registry changed - not made a differance though.

Any other workarounds for this?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation pro + vista woes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »

Can't connect at all with Vista

Causes: Vista defaults to only send the more secure NTLMv2 protocol, which these NAS devices / Samba do not support.

Fixes: Go to Start -> Run -> "secpol.msc". Then goto Local Policies -> Security Options. Find "Network Security: LANManager authentication level". Change the setting from "Send NTLMv2response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security ifnegotiated". Save the setting and then reboot the computer.

Note: Buffalo has a download that does the same thing,but it involves messing with the registry by incorporating a ".reg"file. It is much better (and probably easier) to just use the abovesteps.

New Note: Seems some copies of Vista do not have"secpol.msc", probably the Home versions(Home Basic and Home Premium).These users will either need to use the download from Buffalo or go into their Registry editor.

Regedit instructions:
  1. Start->Search Bar or Run and enter "regedit"
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Control->Lsa
  3. Right-click on "lmcompatibilitylevel" and choose Modify
  4. Set the Value Data to 2 (default is 3) and click OK
  5. Exit regedit and reboot
  6. Try to connect again

Can't login using a user name on a restricted share

Causes: Possibly due to cached passwords or different password/name resolution in Vista.

Fixes: Try connecting to "\\IPAddress" instead of"\\NASName". Also, try using "WorkgroupName\UserName","\\NASName\UserName", or "\\NASIPAddress\UserName".

Fixes: Try going into the command prompt and entering(without quotes) "NET USE \\[IP or NetBIOS name of NAS]\[folder that isbeing restricted] /d" and then try logging into the share again.

Memeo will not install in Vista

Causes: Some versions of Memeo do not work correctly in Vista.

Fixes: Have the customer download the following versionNotice .info domain: http://www.memeo.info/download/memeo/BT/Memeo.exe

Can't connect to a NAS by name, but IP address works, or can see and access share by \\ip_addr, attempt to map drive fails

Causes: Client for Microsoft Networks is installed but is not configured by default.

Fixes: Go to Control Panel->Network andInternet->Network and Sharing Center. Once Network and SharingCenter opens click on the 'Manage Network Connections' in the left handside of the 'Network and Sharing Center' window. Right-click on theadapter being used and choose Properties. Go to the Properties ofClient for Microsoft Networks and set the Name Service Provider toWindows Locator. It defaults to nothing in Vista, meaning no local nameresolution...

Vista Backup and Buffalo Products

TODO:

• Give instructions for successful backup (create user on NAS, because admin and guest dont work)

Vista Backup has some issues with some of the Buffalo devices.  

The following NAS'es are affected:   Tera Pro II, Tera Live, Linkstation Pro, and Linkstation Live.

red2678

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »

Hi, I am having the exact same problem. I tried the above fixes and still to my dismay, on my Vista 64 machine, I just keep getting the username and password prompt. I enter the credentials (which, like the other aboveuser, work fine on all XP machines) and it just does not take it. Can anyone please help?

I have un-joined / re-joined the domain, setup the NAS about 10 times, double and triple checked all settings, but nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Red

Message Edited by red2678 on 02-16-2009 02:08 PM
Message Edited by red2678 on 02-16-2009 02:09 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »

Did you try WindowsKey+R, \\ip_address_of_device?

What is the model number of your product?

red2678

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:12:39 AM »

I am sorry; I should have posted this already. I called tech support and my issue was the use of a WINS server address. While my server was running the WINS service, it is not necessary to use WINS. So the tech support guy explained that while there is a option for WINS, just using DNS seems to work better with VISTA. So I removed the WINS address and reset router / NAS / and PC's and BAM! all good. 

Thanks Tech Support! :smileyhappy:

- Red

Message Edited by red2678 on 02-22-2009 11:13 AM

smithcferg

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »

Just a note for those who don't have the secpol.mmc (non-Vista Ultimate/Business editions).  You can get equivalent servicibility by following instructions in this link to configure a snapin mmc console with "security templates" and "security configuration and analysis tool" snapins.  Handy for other security settings too.

http://www.vistaclues.com/windows-vista-security-templates/

The "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level"  is the setting in Security Options that needs to be changed to the value noted above.  

temporyuser

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »

I've had exactly the same trouble.  I've got an XP laptop and my old linkstation-120 is perfectly accesable and then having purchased a newer linkstation-500 all was well, with restricted passworded folders.

But having bought a Vista-64 (Home Premium) machine it could not access the older linkstation even though I could see it on the network etc, but I could not get it to accept the login details to view the folder.

I tried pretty much most of the above to but to no avail.

But I decided to have a mess around with some of the settings on the box and I changed the Wired Communication Format within the Network setup from Auto to 100Mbps Full Duplex and hey presto my vista machine could now suddenly access the restricted folder.

!?!

Message Edited by temporyuser on 10-07-2009 04:49 PM