Author Topic: LS-CHL hard disk replace  (Read 25962 times)

Topolaccio

• Calf
LS-CHL hard disk replace
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:15:47 PM »

Hello. I know that replacing the HDD will void my LS-CHL warranty, but I really need more space and I will assume my responsability if I'll brick my unit.

I've bought the LS-CH500L one year ago and now I'd like to mount a 2 TB or 1.5 TB drive, like the one in the LS-CH1.5TL or LS-CH2.0TL. The disk I've choosen is the Caviar Green from Western Digital (WD20EADS or WD15EADS).

I need to know if there is a procedure that I need to follow while installing the new disk. What happen when I switch on the unit with the new, unformatted disk? Does it set up alone?

Thanks for your help. 

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CHL hard disk replace
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
Not something we support and i'm glad that you understand that there is a good chance that you will brick the unit.  Theoretically in a perfect world you would format the drive to xfs through a linux computer.  And have the firmware handy.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »

Top,

I would use the TFTP procedure to flash the firmware onto the drive.

Topolaccio

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:37:52 AM »

Thank you for your answers. So, the right procedure, theoretically, should be:

1 - format the new disk using XFS file system
2 - mount the new disk
3 - install the newer firmware

PCPiranha wrote:

Top,

I would use the TFTP procedure to flash the firmware onto the drive.

I'm not sure to understand this. Each time I've upgraded the firmware, I've launched the installer from a PC (Vista or XP) in the intranet. What is the TFTP procedure you're talking about?

Another little question: if I fail installing the new disk, I guess I can restore my unit mouting back the old disk. Am I right?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

Topolaccio

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »

Thank you, but which advantages should I get using the TFTP procedure to flash the f/w, instead of using the classic f/w update procedure?

Hurley

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »
   For the classic f/w update procedure, it will check for installed versions of the firmware.  The TFTP procedure is useful in cases of corrupt firmware, or in your case, replacement drives that do not have an existing kernel.  I don't think a normal firmware download would be able to find your device

Topolaccio

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »

PCPiranha wrote:
http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=9312

I've read the FAQs, but I've still a question. The FAQ says "Boot the device. Wait until it says E04, E06, or System Now Booting before going to the next step". But how can I know this on my device, since the LS-CHL has no display?

Hurley wrote:
For the classic f/w update procedure, it will check for installed versions of the firmware.  The TFTP procedure is useful in cases of corrupt firmware, or in your case, replacement drives that do not have an existing kernel.  I don't think a normal firmware download would be able to find your device

Understood. Now I order the new disk, and than I'll try the TFTP procedure.

One last thing: can you suggest me a software that allows me to mount (and format) XFS partitions under Vista and/or XP? Otherwise, which is the best Linux live distribution for my purpouse?

Thanks again.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »

Just start the TFTP once you turn the unit on and it boots for a little bit.

"One last thing: can you suggest me a software that allows me to mount(and format) XFS partitions under Vista and/or XP? Otherwise, which isthe best Linux live distribution for my purpouse?"

The only program that I am aware of is UFSExplorer.  As far as distribution I usually suggest Ubuntu because it is user friendly.

Either way I don't think you will need to format the drive first.  I'm pretty sure you can just TFTP the new drive and be fine.

Topolaccio

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »
   Thank you very much for your support, I've followed your instruction and everything worked perfectly!

The hardest part was opening the LS-CHL case, but with a bit of patience I've handled it. Then I've extracted the old disk (WD Caviar Blue 500 GB) and I've placed in the new disk (WD Caviar Green 1.5 TB) without formatting it.

The TFTP procedure was fast and successfully: I've connected the LS-CHL directly to my PC with a static IP (192.168.11.1), then I've booted the LS-CHL in EM mode with the TFTP boot program running and awaiting requests (after booting the unit I had to hold down the function key to enter in EM mode and send the request to the TFTP program). The procedure was fast and it formatted the disk too (I thought that formatting a 1.5 TB disk would take several hours, but it takes just two minutes!). After this, I've flashed the new 1.07 f/w with the standard procedure.

That's it! The new LS-CH1.5TL was ready! I've quicky created the root directories and restored all the settings and services and now I'm under a Linux Ubuntu session and I'm copying all the data from the old disk to the other. I've connected the two disks directly to the PC's motherboard through SATA port and I've downloaded an Ububtu live CD for mounting the two XFS disks and move all the data.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards.

HarKoT

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »

Hi,

I recently crashed my LS-CHL so I tried the TFTP method you described in this topic :

I deleted all the partitions from the hard drive

then I connected the LS-CHL directly to my computer, the 2 files are pulled correctly from TFTP but then  nothing happens.

I've tried to connect to the device while it was still in EM mode but it doesn't work.

And then when I restart it I still have the red LED blinking 6 times (which I guess means "hard drive can not be recognized")

Any idea what else I could try ?

I also wanted to try to reinstall manually the firmware, but all the tutorials I found start by "put the files on the sdX1 partition" but from what I understand sdX1 is just the /boot folder so it means now that I have a fully empty drive I need to recreate the other folders as well (like /etc  or /usr) don't I ?

Thanks for your help

hirvoksi

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 01:56:16 AM »

Check my post on NAS Central forum, if  it's any help for you: http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21159

itbedave

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 08:29:25 AM »

I know this is an older thread, but I'm looking at doing the same upgrade to my LinkStation Live - but wondered if anyone had tips for doing it on a Mac - or if it CAN be done using a Mac? Thanks in advance!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:09 PM »

Unfortunately it is not possible from a mac as we do not make TFTP software for mac.  I apologize for the inconvenience.

ronaldluijten

• Calf
Re: LS-CHL hard disk replace / tried everything - about to give up
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 06:18:09 AM »

I am trying the replace the 1TB caviar green WDdrive with a 2TB caviar green in the LS-CH1.0TL buffalostation

-tried to do a sector by sector copy - does not work - get 6 red LED blinks (completely fathomed why THAT does not work!)

-tried to format the drive myself in the same way as the 1TB drive from the LS-CH1.0TL with Ubuntu, and copy files from all partitions myself - also does not work (6 red blinks) (also fathoms me)

-tried the EM boot approach using tftp - this end up in a loop (just keeps loading the kernel and initrd file over and over forever) with using firmware "userfiles_file_downloads_LS-CHL_fw1.12.zip" - I don't even get to the point of using lsupdater.

HELP!