Author Topic: USB device backup error on Terrastation II Rackmount 1TB eSATA  (Read 7586 times)

philrosco

• Calf
USB device backup error on Terrastation II Rackmount 1TB eSATA
« on: September 21, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »

I'm in the process of setting up a Terrastation II Rackmount 1TB eSATA unit for my company. Everything is going great, except I'm having trouble getting a new SeaGate 1TB FreeAgent Pro unit to work with it for backup purposes. I've tried formating the drive and the system recognizes the unit. During a backup job attempt, it either errors out before beginning the actual backup or in process. I get messages in the log that looks like this:

rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, OR SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(242) [sender=2.6.8]

rsync error: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 77 bytes [generator]: Broken pipe (32)

rysync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(1119) [generator=2.6.8]

Anyone have some advice on what is causing the error?

Phil

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: USB device backup error on Terrastation II Rackmount 1TB eSATA
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:11:16 AM »

did you format the drive in XFS? 

if you connect the usb drive to the device in fat32 then with the unit format it into XFS.

philrosco

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:11:17 AM »

Hello Paul, thank you for writing back. Originally I plugged the device in and am sure it was FAT32. I did do a format to XFS but am not sure if I shut the unit down and plugged it back in again. I will try that and see if it makes a difference.

Phil

philrosco

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »

Paul, I powered down the USB device and loaded it back up. I was able to backup a smaller share folder successfully but when I attempted to have a late night backup of the larger share it failed again. I'm thinking maybe the device goes into sleep mode, but am not sure. I may experiment with smaller USB drives and see if it is specific to the Seagate 1TB unit.

Question, I'm learning that this XFS file format is not recognized by Windows. I was planning to keep this external unit offsite just in case of fire or other catastrophy. How would I recover my data if I have it stored on an XFS formatted backup drive from offsite if the Terastation ended up destroyed by the event?

Phil

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:09:25 AM »
There are software that will allow the XFS file format to be seen by windows.  By default it can be read via Linux or another buffalo device. 

tuebrook

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 01:51:46 PM »
   What is the software that allows the XFS file format to be seen by windows?

Paul

• Big Bull