Author Topic: Which Firmware????  (Read 2987 times)

KenStupka

• Calf
Which Firmware????
« on: August 23, 2009, 06:41:01 PM »

I appologize for this silly question but I am new to Buffalo products and from what I have seen on this forum, there seem to be a fair amount of problems arising from firmware updates so I want to be sure that I am not going to screw up my drive by installing the wrong firmware. 

I have a LS-XH 1TB drive that has firmware 1.03 installed.

I went to the download section and found 2 listings for firmware updates. 

One link is labeled 1.03-0.3 and the other is labeled 1.10

Which one of these 2 do I select to update my current version 1.03?  

Also, if there were several other newer selections, would it hurt to install the latest firmware, skipping over the ones in between the current and the newest?  

Are there any safegards against installing the wrong firmware version?

Thanks 

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: Which Firmware????
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »
If it is the wrong firmware then the updater wont find the unit.  The most recent version is the 1.10.  That is the one that you do want to download if you are gonna update it.  Is there anything wrong with the unit?

KenStupka

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »

Josh,

Thanks for the reply.  

The only problem that I have with the unit is that I don't seem to be able to do a direct copy from a USB device.  I have tried 2 USB drives and a digital camera.  In each case, the USB device is discovered and appears that both the LinkStation drive and USB devices go through the motions of copying but when I check the LinkStation drive, there are no files copied.  I have followed the instructions posted in the knowledge base to a letter.  

A tech support person at Buffalo suggested the firmware upgrade but if you have any other suggestions, I am all ears.

Thanks

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »
You down load the firmware hard wired on a PC that is in your network.  Then you extract the files and run the updater.exe.

JohnGray

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »

Ken

If you have an LS-XHL the latest firmware we see from the UK is v1.20 dated 14/07/2009,141.03 MB "with Russian support added!".  The alternative offered is v1.03 dated 01/07/2009, 117.22 MB, and that's the same version that I got shipped on the drive.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:24:54 AM »
This is American support sorry about the confusion you will need to contact your Local Support.

Hurley

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »

Ken

The question isn't specific to the region.  Just make sure you have clicked on your location on the top map and download the corresponding firmware.  What format are your USB drives?  Have you used the LinkStation to format them?

Bivman

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »

I figured I'd jump on this thread since I have a similar question.

I have a Buffalo HD-CELU2 with firmware:BUF-CELU2-1.4.B LOADER 3.5W1.9

I noticed the latest firmware is listed as 1.4.7.

I wonder if this "B" firmware is actually newer than the listed newest?

Second question... I seem to be getting slow transfers across the LAN.

At least I would expect them to be faster.. About 40 mb/s, at least that's where it starts... Then it seems to keep slowing down from there. Using the drive for dvd iso storage and Nero express to "burn" the iso to the drive. Shows starting at 5,000KB/s

and slowing to below 1,000KB/s. IDE internal drives transfer at 35,000KB/s.

I get that the LAN drive will be slower, but expected a little more and dunno why

it slows down... HENCE the first question about firmware! Just trying to get as much as I can out of the drive.

Last question... The LAN cable that came with the drive is a fairly long, flat cable.

Could that be messing with the LAN? I have the drive into a gigabit switch... I may just change the cable anyway... Just asking....

Thanks,

Jon - The Bivman