Author Topic: Mail Notification Bug?  (Read 2676 times)

newprometheus

• Calf
Mail Notification Bug?
« on: August 15, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »

I am running a Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo (model LS-WTGL/R1-V3) with firmware version 3.07.  The LinkStation is connected to a router, to which my computer network is attached.   I am not using BuffaloNAS.com or any internet access.  I am trying to set up the Mail Notification feature, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.  I selected the notification triggers for "drive failure" and "fan failure", and I left the notification triggers for "HDD Status Report" and "Completed Backups" unselected.  In this way, it was my hope to only receive email notifications when there was a problem.  Yet, I continue to receive several email notifications when RAID maintenance starts and completes.  This is very annoying.

Is there some way to configure the LinkStation to only notify me when there is an actual problem?

Thanks!

newprometheus

• Calf
Re: Mail Notification Bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:29:37 AM »

Allow me to clarify, the emails notifications I am receiving are of the form:

LinkStation Status Report:RAID maintenance notice:Infomation:Start RAID maitenance (System field (md0))

LinkStation Status Report:RAID maintenance notice:Infomation:Start RAID maitenance (System field (md1))

LinkStation Status Report:RAID maintenance notice:Infomation:Start RAID maitenance (RAID Array 1 (md2))

LinkStation Status Report:RAID maintenance notice:Infomation:RAID maintenance complete (System field (md0))

LinkStation Status Report:RAID maintenance notice:Infomation:RAID maintenance complete (System field (md1))

Thanks!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
See if you still get the emails after you uncheck "drive failure".  I'll check on this in the meantime.

newprometheus

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:06:11 PM »

Okay, will do.  Thank you for taking the time to look into this!

Interestingly, I do have some more information to share with you:

1) All of the emails I listed above were sent at or within just a few minutes of 5 AM on Saturday, August 15th.  For completeness, I did receive one more RAID Maintenance Complete email at about 10:29 AM that morning, to indicate completion of all the started jobs, but I don't believe this is important.  What I think is important is the 5 AM time on Saturday.

2) I have not received any additional emails since last Saturday.

3) In the Admin web-based interface, I discovered that the page Disk Management > RAID Setup has a section for RAID Scanning Setting.  This section indicates a RAID Scanning Schedule of EVERY WEEK ON SATURDAY AT 5 AM.  I'm guessing that this must be where the notifications are coming from.

So, in conclusion, this seems to be a bug of sorts, since it would be nice to be able to continue the RAID scanning as scheduled without the unwanted notifications, but in all fairness I must concede that this is much less of a problem that I thought it would be.

Thank you!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »
Hmm, Im going to send this up and see what we can get done for you.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »

Update the firmware to 3.09.  See if this helps

newprometheus

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »

I appreciate the suggestion, PCPiranha, but I'm reluctant to potentially trade one problem for another.  Particularly since this mail notification bug is pretty minor and manageable.  From reading this forum it seems to me that the last stable release of the firmware is v3.07, which is what I am on currently.  Now perhaps I'm incorrect, but it sounds like there are at least some cases (perhaps isolated) where v3.08 and v3.09 are exhibiting some issues for folks, and without more descriptive release notes describing what was fixed and what the known issues are with each version, I am reluctant to take that gamble.

Thanks!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »
I'm not sure what "issues" you speak of, but that's fine with me.  We've been running 3.08 (we just haven't gotten around to updating it, might have to today) at the office for a while and it works fine for us.