Author Topic: LS-CH500L broken (flashing red light x7)  (Read 1671 times)

markcowell23

• Calf
LS-CH500L broken (flashing red light x7)
« on: August 23, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »
Disaster for me.

I have used this linkstation from new for years.  Today I relocated it in my office, including disconnecting the LAN cable and power supply and re-conencting both.  Upon re-starting it immediately is in the 7 flashing red light mode, which the online manual tells me is no hard drive found.  My PC cannot see the linkstation either, but I guess that is because the machine is not operational.  It is also making a hell of a racket.  I have switched the device on and off multiple times before, in fact in the last week.

I tried to re-install (I still have the original disk), but that is not compatible with Windows 10.  However I fear that if the linkstation will not even start to a steady state, that is not relevent.

So is there anything I can do.  Please don't shout but I have hugely important data on this device, that I don't have elsewhere.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS-CH500L broken (flashing red light x7)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:12:34 AM »
They keep a sticky thread at the top discussing their data recovery service.
https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=26722.0

The drive not being detected is a very bad sign. If those horrible noises are coming from the drive it is a worse sign. Even if the sound is coming from the fan it's bad news.

If you're considering professional recovery services your best bet is to not do anything yourself since you risk making things worse.

If your data isn't worth the expense of such services there are a few things you can try but they all risk making things worse with no guarantee of success.