Author Topic: How to improve my internet?  (Read 2981 times)

BuntyBhai

• Calf
How to improve my internet?
« on: August 23, 2019, 03:55:44 AM »
My current setup is a Motorola SURFboard SB6141 modem and a Linksys WRT1900AC router running DD-WRT firmware in a 750 sq ft apt. I currently have the 50 mbps plan from spectrum. Currently my speed(according to speedtest.net) is about 60 down 5 up.

Usually on the weekdays about 3-6 devices are connected to the Wi-Fi and during the weekends it jumps to about 5-9 devices. My main purpose are used for gaming, watching live streams, and watching YouTube. My parents main purpose is mostly for social media, news, and watching videos on the internet (not Netflix or YouTube). Not sure if this will make a difference, but I will be eventually adding a NAS to the network too so I could remotely access it (maybe in about 2 years or so).

Problem 1: What I want to do is find a router where I can watch live streams on twitch at least 720p without buffering. Usually on my laptop or on my phone the stream will randomly stop and I would usually have to either refresh or lower quality to 360p or 480p. However on my desktop connected with an ethernet cable is fine. All devices are connected on the 2.4 Ghz radio on channel 11.

Problem 2: I always had a problem downloading big files (6GB+) in one sitting. With my internet it would download anywhere from 2-4GB then crash my internet, then a few minutes later then I can resume the download.