Author Topic: How to Reset Admin Password in LS-CHL Model  (Read 1609 times)

jesiel

• Calf
How to Reset Admin Password in LS-CHL Model
« on: August 19, 2019, 06:55:23 AM »
Hi,

I have LS-CHL (oldest model 2010) and I need to Reset Admin password.

I already followed some basic instructions like: 1) Turn It Off ..... 2) Turn it ON + Pressing Front Button 3)... after led flasing in blue... I Pressed one more time the front button ( + 6 seconds )

Followed the instruction above, the front LED flashed in Amber color... but in the end of this proccess ... the Admin Password could't reseted to default (admin / password)

Please could someone help-me?  I forgot the Admin Password... and I don't want to Loss All Files !!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:57:12 AM by jesiel »

jesiel

• Calf
Re: How to Reset Admin Password in LS-CHL Model
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 08:49:12 AM »
Wow, I had found this topic about the problem: https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=8154.0

Nice, But It is kind of old (2014 last post)... someone know new tips about this problem?

Thanks

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: How to Reset Admin Password in LS-CHL Model
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 11:13:07 AM »
Most models have a process for restoring defaults without wiping data, it sounds like you found that process but it isn't working for you for some reason.

You have some options but you should proceed carefully if you care about the data on the device.

personally, I would remove the drive and connect it to a computer running linux and back up the data directly before trying to reinstall the firmware. The data volume is formatted as XFS and will be recognized by most distributions.

I believe the link you are talking about discusses re-installing the firmware to gain access. You should be able to do that by enabling the debug options of lsupdater and forcing a firmware reinstall:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Enable_Debug_mode

I believe you can force-reinstall the firmware (and in the process restore the default password in the process) without wiping your data but I highly recommend backing up the data first before trying it.