Author Topic: TS-RIXL-EM3F0 EM Mode 'No Array Info'  (Read 1790 times)

bmel

• Calf
TS-RIXL-EM3F0 EM Mode 'No Array Info'
« on: July 29, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »
I bought a used Terastation TS-RIXL-EM3F0 off of ebay for dirt cheap. It came with no disks. When I turn it on, it boots into an 'EM Mode' with specific error 'no array info'. I browsed online and found a couple posts suggesting I use TS-Updater to try and flash the firmware. I downloaded Ts Updater for this model and attempted to upgrade, and that failed with error format failed. I read that I can forcefully reset the partition table by editing the TSUpdater ini file and selecting 'rebuild partition table' from debug menu but that still failed with 'format failed' error. I read online that I may be able to fix it using the TFTP Boot server. I downloaded the TFTP server and ran it first on my computer (windows 10) and then again on a windows 7 virtual machine with a bridge network adapter. Both times I never saw the request from the Terastation for PXE boot. I contacted the seller I bought it from and asked for help, and he said all I needed was a drive that was already formatted that I could use to boot the box and get my own drives formatted (I have 4x WD Red 3TB SATA Drives for this machine). He mailed me a pre-formatted disk, but to my severe disappointment, booting the Terastation with that drive installed still lands me back in EM mode with the same 'No Array Info' error. I'm not sure where to turn at this point, as the serial number has been scratched off the side of the box so I don't have any means of contacting support or downloading the additional software for it. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone here could help steer me towards whatever I need to do to get this box running.

Thanks!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: TS-RIXL-EM3F0 EM Mode 'No Array Info'
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »
booting from TFTP is just another way to get into EM mode, it shouldn't be needed if the device is booting into EM mode on its own from the on-board NAND.

those debug options you mentioned should do the trick. try making sure all 4 drives are completely blank and make sure all 4 are present when you attempt the install. Then check all the boxes except "update boot" and try again.

If you still have trouble you can try attaching a usb serial adapter to the headphone jack on the front and use the terminal output to see what is going on. I have not gotten around to trying this with any of the rack mount devices so I don't know what the pinout is.

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 06:01:32 AM »
Format failed = check the hard discs you put into the Terastation. You did the right step - installing fw with debug option and rebuilding partition table. The error shows it cannot format at least one disc for some reason. Most likely cause is a faulty disc.
Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris

bmel

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 07:44:04 AM »
Hey guys, I’m not sure if this is the correct way to update my post to say I got it working (forum noob). What I ended up doing was downloading the TSUpdater program and running it inside of a Windows XP virtual machine. I used oracle virtualbox machine with a bridged network adapter. By editing the tsupdater.ini file to turn on the debug flag I was able to reformat the disks and install the firmware per the process I mentioned above.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
Nice! What operating system were you having trouble with?

If you're running Linux it works really well under wine too. There's just one setting you have to set to allow the debug to be accessible under some window managers. If got that info on the wiki:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Enable_Debug_mode