Author Topic: TerraStation Pro II - Locked out of Admin - Reset fails  (Read 4582 times)

aarond

• Calf
TerraStation Pro II - Locked out of Admin - Reset fails
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »

TS-HTGL50B - Went offline earlier today and since then has locked me out of it. The web access isn't starting, the drives appear to be online with no failures, and operating normally. Boots fine, no errors or beeps, but web access is off, and I can't update the firmare. I've attempted to "reset" the device using the INIT button on the front, and it resets the IP but not the admin password.

Firmware 1.31

Any Suggestions? - Yes the shares are offline, I can ping it, but that's about it.

Matt_M

• Buffalo
Re: TerraStation Pro II - Locked out of Admin - Reset fails
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »

Two things:

1) In the NAS Navigator utility is it showing a firmware version or is it showing as --

If it's showing as -- then you are going to want to try to run a forced firmware update to it. To do this open the TSUpdater.ini file in a text editor and add this to the top of the document.

[specialflags]

debug = 1

Then save the document and relaunch the updater, right-click on the title bar at the top and go to debug. Then under the config menu check the force update box and try to run the update again.

2) If the box in the interface to not reset the admin password was checked then even hitting the init button will not restore this to defaults.

aarond

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »

I assure you we have tried this already.

Our firmware shows 1.31 as stated in my original post.

We can not run anything with TSUpdater as I mentioned when we try to we are getting a "please enter admin password" prompt, which does not accept any of our passwords, or the default "password" password.

We've reset the unit several times, and the admin password never resets to default - the IP address does though.

I am unsure if the interface checkbox for "not reset admin password" was checked as we are locked out of the web interface as well (won't start)

I feel this INIT reset button is poorly designed. There should be a way to HARD reset the entire unit no matter what configurations might have been saved.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:24:36 PM »

If you boot the device in EM mode then in the firmware force options there is a way to clear all user configurations

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=41442#M277