Author Topic: Cannot set the workgroup name on LinkStation Gigabit  (Read 1244 times)

milleron

• Calf
Cannot set the workgroup name on LinkStation Gigabit
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:34:44 PM »

My LinkStation Gigabit worked fine for a couple of years.  I disassembled the network when we moved to a new house, and now the workgroup name is blank and cannot be set to ANYthing at all.  When I do that, it says that it's been saved, but when I check it, it's still blank.  I can search for the LinkStation and find it, but it will not appear in my home network, so I cannot map any of the shares on it to the computers.  Interestingly, I also canNOT specify a description of the LinkStation.  I do seem to be able to adjust all the other settings.  I know the device is working because I can see the files when the XP search function finds the LinkStation, and I can even delete them without problems.

The firmware is the latest available.  I've scanned the disk and shut down and rebooted the LinkStation several times.

What could have caused the workgroup to go missing when the LinkStation was powered down for a few weeks???  What can I do to specify the workgroup????  Without it, the device is almost worthless.