Author Topic: Problem with Linkstation Mini LS-WSGL/R1  (Read 6326 times)

skajam66

• Calf
Problem with Linkstation Mini LS-WSGL/R1
« on: August 12, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »

Hi,

There are many threads on this topic some of which discuss symptoms identical to mine but none of them have any solution. So I will start a new thread. I have:

XP Sp3

Windows Firewall disabled. No other firewall

PC is connected to LS via a Linksys SD208 8 port switch. Internet is also connected via the SD208

LS is configured as RAID 1. I have deleted the RAID and recreated it twice. There is no data on the LS right now

After recreating the RAID 1 device, there is a share named 'info' but not default share named 'share'. Consequently, I have created a share with the name 'share'

After a power down reboot:

- the device is recognised by NAS Navi2 Ver 2.18 with details:

- - Hostname: "SKABEAT"

- - Workgroup: "WORKGROUP"

- - IP Address: 10.0.70.175

- - Subnet Mask: 255:255:255:0

- - Default Gateway: 10.0.70.1

- - MAC Address: 00:1D:73:4C:50:8B

- - Firmware: 1.06

- within NAS NAvi2 I cannot map the default share to a drive as I get the error message 'Remote default share is missing'. Neither can I map all remote shares as I get the same error message (I was expecting it to at least map the 'info' share...)

- the device does show up in My Network Places and double clicking the icon brings me into the web admin screen. The URL is as expected: http://10.0.70.175/cgi-bin/top.cgi

- Using Start->Run and entering the IP address as \\10.0.70.175 generates the error message: "The network path was not found"

- in the command prompt, ping 10.0.70.175 works fine

- i have also tried force updating the firmware based on suggestions in other threads but that doesn't work since the update tool simply tells me that there is no device that needs updating

THat's about it - the device is unusable. Any suggestions anyone?

ac

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Problem with Linkstation Mini LS-WSGL/R1
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »
Did you change the ini file before updating the firmware?  Post a screenshot for me.  The message about "unit that needs updating cannot be found" either indicates an ip problem (not the case here), you got the wrong firmware or didn't do the force procedure correctly.

skajam66

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »

>> Did you change the ini file before updating the firmware?

No. What do I need to change? Here is the current content:

[Application]
Title = BUFFALO LS-WSGL/R1 Updater Ver.1.06
WaitReboot = 480
WaitFormat = 500

[Target]
ProductID = 0x00003002
Name = LS-WSGL/R1

[Flags]
VersionCheck = 1

>> Post a screenshot for me

How do I do that? I have the gif file - how do I embed it in this message? Do I have to mail it separately?

ac

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

skajam66

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »

OK. I have completed a forced firmware update to no effect. Immediately after the forced update, I can see default shares of 'share' and 'info' but the behaviour is otherwise unchanged. I tried the forced update twice, once with 'rebuild partition tables' checked and once without it checked. No difference. To confirm current behaviour:

My Network Places shows the drive icon, double clicking on it brings up the web admin page and I can login

ping in command prompt works correctly and shows URL: http://10.0.70.195/cgi-bin/top.cgi

Start->Run \\10.0.70.195\share fails with "Network path not found" as does \\10.0.70.195\info and \\10.0.70.195

NAS Navigator 2 version 2.18 locates the drive and correctly shows all the parameters. Menu->Map Remote Default Share to Drive Letter fails with "Failed Mapping. Remote default share is missing"

I'm completely stuck....

ac

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 02:49:22 PM »
Does the NASNAVI display that same IP address

skajam66

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »

Yes, it does.  If I double click on the NasNavi entry I get the error: "Could not ope the shared folder. Confirm drive status"

Also of interest is that the device shows up in iTunes. Of course, there is no data there..

ac

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:04:04 AM »
The default shares are missing because you checked the option to "rebuild partition table".  That wiped all of the data on the unit.  Can you log into the web interface?  Are you getting any error lights?

skajam66

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 06:03:47 AM »

I tried force updating the firmware with both "rebuild partition table" checked and unchecked but I could see no difference. After any forced update, the two default shares are visible there on the drive but I cannot map to them.

Yes, I can log in to the web interface and can confirm that the default shares are there

No, there are no error lights - just the blue Linkstation light on and steady while the green activity light flickers from time to time

skj

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 06:29:07 PM »
Soyunds like it is a firewall issue.  Make sure that all of them are disabled if you plan on using the nasnavi.  What kind of anti virus software are you running?

MarkBush

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 01:33:51 PM »

Thanks PCpiranha,

This was exactly what caused the problem in my case (exactly the same symptoms).

I added the Linkstation's IP to trusted zone in my firewall and voila! It works!

Thanks again

sf

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »

this link is dead"

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=9309