Author Topic: Can I network both my Terastation and Linkstation?  (Read 4009 times)

rgalang

• Calf
Can I network both my Terastation and Linkstation?
« on: August 11, 2009, 02:16:51 PM »

I have the Terastation 1TB (HD-H1.0TGL/R5). It's almost full. 

So I decided to purchase the Linkstation Quad 4TB (LS-Q4.0TL/R5)

Can I simply add the Linkstation Quad to the network (through ethernet cable) and use both simultaneously as well as transfer files from one to the other? 

My friend initially installed my back up system for me. So, I'm finding my way around this very unfamiliar territory. 

Thanks,

Raymond

San Jose, CA 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Can I network both my Terastation and Linkstation?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »
You can connect them to the network simultaneously but I doubt you will be able to transfer files directly between the two units. 

rgalang

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »
   Thanks PCPiranha. What would you suggest I do if I wanted to transfer 500GB of data from the Terastation to the LinkStation? Will I need to copy data to my computer then copy it to Linkstation? Seems very time consuming... 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:47:57 PM »
You can try to see if the units see each other.  If you have the most up to date firmware for both it is at least worth a try.  I just doubt it will work.  If it doesn't work then transfering to the computer is the only way.

rgalang

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 03:55:39 PM »

The Linkstation is on the way and I'm preparing for it's arrival. I have yet to actually install it.

What I imagined happening is that through my finder on my computer, I would have both TS and LS mounted. Then simply drag and drop from one to the other. I guess that might be wishful thinking on my part. I did update my firmware for the TS to the latest. I'll assume the LS will come with the latest firmware since it's brand new, but I'll double check. 

rgalang

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:58:03 PM »
   This is probably a really dumb question. But would it make a difference if I plugged the Linkstation to the USB instead of the network? Is that even possible? Even if it's just a temporary solution to transfer files easily. 
Message Edited by rgalang on 08-11-2009 04:02 PM

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:07:40 PM »
No the unit can only be connected via ethernat.  The USB ports are only for connecting external HDDs for backup.

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »
   If you happen to have a USB drive of sufficiently high capacity sitting around, you can connect it to your old Linkstation and perform a full backup from the LinkStation to the USB drive.  Then plug the USB drive into the new Quatro and restore from the backup to the TS.  This allows at least part of the process to take place without the computer sitting in the middle of the transfer.

rgalang

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:43:23 PM »
   Thanks daoswald. Looks like I'm heading in this direction. Just borrowed a 1TB Maxtor USB 2.0 external hard drive. One question, how should I format the USB drive? Should I leave it as is - NTFS? Or should I format it with XFS or EXT3 or FAT32?

rgalang

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 12:34:37 AM »

Currently trying to copy files from Terastation to USB Maxtor 1TB External Drive. 

I formatted the USB Drive using XFS. I can copy & paste, drag & drop from the Terastation to USB Drive through the finder. I can see the finder copying files. I can see Terastation -> Disk Management menu that USB Disk Info "Amount in Use" is increasing.

However... I can't see any files in the Finder! I'm on a Mac OS X PowerMac G5 computer. I was using NTFS earlier and I couldn't copy files into the USB Drive. So I formatted the USB Drive using XFS. 

Would you recommend EXT3 or FAT32 instead? Thanks all in advance! 

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 02:03:42 AM »

I prefer XFS because that mirrors exactly how the LinkStation or TeraStation drives are formatted.

I'm not sure why you're not seeing it in Finder; I'm just not a Mac guy.

rgalang

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 05:37:42 PM »

I CAN network both my Terastation and Linkstation.

Plugged the Linkstation via ethernet cable to my workgroup switch. Ran the NAS navigator, mounted the Linkstation and it popped up in my finder.  Then I mounted my Terastation and opened that in a new finder. I can drag and drop files from one to the other without difficulty.