Author Topic: Which LinkStation would be an upgrade?  (Read 1641 times)

daoswald

• Buffalo
Which LinkStation would be an upgrade?
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:00:01 AM »

I have a LinkStation Live 320 (HS-DH320GL).  It's been in service for me since about 2006 if I recall.  I'm approaching "full", and am going to be looking to upgrade within the next couple of months.  I know I can add another USB drive (I already have one plugged in for automated backups), but I prefer having one higher-capacity unit rather than a 320GB unit with some large USB drive plugged in for primare networked storage.  For one reason, there is performance: USB to NAS to LAN seems to have a throughput of about 5.5MB/sec, whereas NAS to LAN is much faster.

Back to the question: What among Buffalo's product line would be a good upgrade?

My requirements are:

• Fairly quick read/write speeds: I keep an Adobe Lightroom catalogue and a HD home video catalogue on the drive, and performance is fairly important to me, particularly for Lightroom's sake.
  • Larger capacity:  It took me 3 years to mostly fill 320GB, but for most of that time I was using the drive as a photo repository.  My camera takes 15mp RAW images at 10 to 15MB each.  Then there's the video camera, that takes a few megabytes per second of video.  I don't keep much of an MP3 collection, but as time goes by digital media will grow in importance, I'm sure.  I think something 1TB or more would keep me happy for now.
  • WebAccess with uploads.
  • FTP services
  • Backup to USB

It's easy to figure out which units satisfy the capacity and other simple needs, but what isn't really printed on the box is which units would be a speed/performance upgrade from my current LinkStation Live.

I don't think I'm in the market to shell out for a TS-III.  Would a LS Pro Duo have better read/write performance than the LinkStation Live?  I'm not dissatisfied with what I've got, but as long as I'm upgrading capacity, I want to have a performance gain as well.

rinthos

• Buffalo
Re: Which LinkStation would be an upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 01:37:48 AM »

To start, the LS Pro Duo (Raid 0/Raid 1) systems have actually been very disappointing from a performance perspective.

If you require a Buffalo product w/ 2 drive Raid 1 or Raid 0 that performs well, the Terastation Duo is a good pick, but yeah bit expensive :(.

Otherwise, if you're happy w/ single drive solutions like you currently have, the Linkstation line has what you're looking for:

http://www.buffalotech.com/comparison-charts/network-storage/linkstation/

The link shows model comparisons but to summarize what you're looking for:

1: Performance: Linkstation Pro LS-XHL performs the best of the linkstations.

2: Larger capacity: pretty much any of them.

3: WebAccess w/ uploads: All of them.

4: FTP Services: All of them.

5: Backup to USB: All of them.

Therefore for single drive Linkstations, the Pro LS-XHL is the best of the bunch.

Hope this helps you w/ the buffalo product line offerings.  Remember: Linkstations are NAS devices (LAN connected) which should be what you're used to w/ your Linkstation 320.

---