Author Topic: LS441DE connection loss  (Read 1608 times)

dbdny

• Calf
LS441DE connection loss
« on: July 11, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »
I have an LS441DE that I use for Video storage. For some reason the unit stops working properly. It is powered on, connected to a UPS and there is connectivity(I can ping it fine) but the cameras stop talking to it and I can not access it through any browser or the NAS navigator. Once I reboot it, its fine for a few days. It is set for DHCP so the DNS is fine and I do not have a sleep timer set. I don't know what else to look for. It has been doing this for as long as I have had it but I didn't care until someone set fire to a planter in the front yard. Any help would be great.

Thank you

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS441DE connection loss
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:18:20 PM »
someone may have some better ideas, but my first suspicion would be the device overheating and crashing. Possibly also corruption of the firmware causing intermittent failures.

I'd probably make sure the fan appears to be working clean out any dust inside the device. Then if there's still trouble pull the drives and run diagnostics on a PC. Possibly try re-installing the firmware if the drives are healthy and you still have trouble.

If your interested you could also install Debian on the device rather than the stock firmware. This would among other things make it easier to monitor system/drive temperature using lm-sensors and hddtemp. You can find details about that process at:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo