Author Topic: 320kbps AAC (.m4A) not playing with Linkstation Mini  (Read 1619 times)

YoDaddy

• Calf
320kbps AAC (.m4A) not playing with Linkstation Mini
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:14:53 PM »

Music at 320kbps AAC encoding does not play, Using Linkstation Mini LS-WS v1.06 server with Roku 1001 Soundbridge network music player. 

It appears from other sites' info that the birate provided by the Linkstation media server (Twonky) is incorrect. However when it is served from iTunes, the files DO play fine, so it is isolated to the Linkstation-Soundbridge link.

I've found that MP3 at 320kbps DOES play. It is only the 320kbps AAC that does not work. 

Music was encoded with iTunes 8.1.x/Quicktime 7.6 to *.m4a format. 

I am using Linkstation Mini LS-WS which has built-in media server (Twonky), and is not alterable to my knowledge. 

Is there a music Tag, meta data or fix anyone knows of which I can apply to the existing AAC files? 
Does anyone else have 320kbps AAC working?

Is there are update to Twonky available? 

YoDaddy

• Calf
Re: 320kbps AAC (.m4A) not playing with Linkstation Mini
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:59:55 AM »
   More info:

The Linkstation Mini media server appears is reporting the wrong bit rate: the TAG'd "320kbps" AAC file (per iTunes) is reported by Linkstation Mini as anywhere from 353kbps up to 24,957kbps (some are reported as "Unknown").

The "actual" bit rate of the failing files (simply calculated from file size & play time) may be anywhere from 323kbps to 457kbps. Strangely even some of the (calculated) 420kbps files play on the Roku.

Somehow Linkstation is not properly calculating or observing the proper bit rate, either from iTunes TAG or otherwise.

I'd like to believe there's a way to scan and adjust the song TAGS to fake Roku into believing these are 320kbps music files. Anyone have a fix or work-around?

Again, the Linkstation Mini Twonky player can't be changed to my knowledge, is there an update anyone knows about?
How to update LS-Mini Twonky version?