Author Topic: Wishlist for new Linkstation features  (Read 8701 times)

drmemory

• Big Bull
Wishlist for new Linkstation features
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:46:27 AM »

Please use this post for suggesting features in future firmware revisions of Linkstations. Be sure to specify which Linkstation, when posting.

For FW fixes, use a different post - this post is only for suggesting new features. 

No restrictions to geographical region - please state which country you are in/where you purchased your product.

Message Edited by drmemory on 08-05-2009 04:15 PM

jeffla

• Tatanka
Re: Wishlist for new Linkstation features
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »

For the LS-XHL

Disable uploads in BitTorrent completely.

European

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:06:11 PM »

For LS-XHL

1. HTTP server

2. DHCP server

3. FTP, TFTP server

4. Incremental backup

bdniner

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »

LS-XHL

enable SSH

incremental or differential backups using rsync

dil

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 04:17:30 AM »

LS-XHL

- I second the SSH enabling (very important feature).

- Enable sftp or ftp over ssl (ftps)

- It would be fine to be able to adjust the time after which the HDD gets the spindown-signal (or get options like 5 mins, 10 mins, etc).

Message Edited by dil on 08-05-2009 04:01 PM

chrisnas

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:46:36 AM »

great idea to get feedback for future firmwares ....

i would really like to see the following for the linkstation mini in the UK  - LS-WSGL  :

- a security access log showing login attempts etc for webaccess

- the ability to see thumbnail images of pictures when using webaccess so browsing the picture share is easier

- a flash based audio player that you can use to create a playlist for example when using webaccess so you dont have to click on a track each time you want to stream it

- a "log out" button in the webaccess also

- the ability to change the webaccess port (in theory you can already do this but it doesnt actually work on anything other than 9000)

- a configurable HDD spin down setting

are there plans for new firmware versions then?

afifim

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 02:17:44 AM »

LS-QL

• Add Dropbear as an SSH server.   Secure, small (110 KBs) with little overhead.  Should allow end users to configure somethings they wouldn't be able to until later releases of your firmware assuming their feature request was accepted.
  • One of the reasons performance tops out at 10-20 MB/s (4 disks really should be able to do max out a Gig-e connection) is the partition alignment.  I'm going to leave this extremely detailed thread to do this topic justice, http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=25786
  •  Decent throughput is achievable with 4 disks unlike what the post said because you can modify the default block size for Linux.
  • I followed some of the instructions on nas-central to take a look at the image/firmware, if you do add SSH these tool, please add top to busybox, it will be immensely helpful for troubleshooting performance issues.
  • In a similar spirit troubleshooting tools like tcpdump / strace / lsof can never go wrong.  These are all outside of busybox so wouldn't bloat your running software just take up some disk space until they're needed.
  • If you've OEM's twonkymedia or are licensed to, upgrade it to the latest releases.  It can allow you to boast some added features (like Xbox 360 support for e.g. not just DLNA/UPNP).  Should put you ahead of your competition (don't think anyone else has it supported).

mattholluk

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »

LS Pro Duo 1TB

Most important improvements for me are to the web interface:

• Log out button
  • Download option by file and by folder
  • Log of login attempts etc 

Otherwise very impressed.

Matt 

gudjon

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 04:22:53 AM »

[LS-Pro XHL 1TB, firmware 1.10-0.73]

The trashox is a great thing to keep old copies of inportant files.  But I wish I had more control over it and could manage it better.  I would like to request two features that would greatly enhance the trashbox's usefulness.

A. LIMITING DELETED COPIES

The trashbox eats up disk space although a assume (?) that when the disk is full the LinkStation will overwrite files in the trashbox based on some criteria(??).  It would therefore be very useful to able to limit the files kept in the trashbox.

i) Limit the number of files kept e.g. last 10 copies

ii) Limit the time files are kept e.g. 30 days

Option i) would keep up to 10 latest versions of a file wheather they span e.g. 3 hours or 3 years.  Option ii) on the other hand would keep all versions of a file for a periode of time wheather there are e.g. 3 or 300 different versions.

B. CHANGED NAMING CONVENTION

The naming convention used for deleted files is verbose ("Copy #n of ":smileywink: and not suited for efficient management of files in the trashbox.  Look at this example, here sorted by name: 

Copy #1 of Fgc.zip    07.07.2009  22:03
  Copy #1 of xxx.zip     19.07.2009  22:09

Copy #2 of Fgc.zip    08.07.2009  21:15
  Copy #3 of Fgc.zip    09.07.2009  21:15
  Copy #4 of Fgc.zip    10.07.2009  21:14
  Copy #5 of Fgc.zip    11.07.2009  21:14

Fgc.zip                    06.07.2009  22:13

xxx.zip                     04.07.2009  22:12

It would be much better to insert the version number after the file name and before the file extension.  Then different versions of the same file would sort together and provide a better overview of a file's versions in the trashbox   

Fgc.zip        06.07.2009  22:13
  Fgc(1).zip    07.07.2009  22:03
  Fgc(2).zip    08.07.2009  21:15
  Fgc(3).zip    09.07.2009  21:15
  Fgc(4).zip    10.07.2009  21:14
  Fgc(5).zip    11.07.2009  21:14

xxx.zip         04.07.2009  22:12

xxx(1).zip     19.07.2009  22:09 

Better still would be to "bump up" the version numbers on older files when a file is insert into the trashbox (deleted from the "Share" folder).  Then a file keeps the same name when moved to trashbox, the second latest version gets "(1)" appended etc.    

Fgc.zip        11.07.2009  21:14
  Fgc(1).zip    10.07.2009  21:14
  Fgc(2).zip    09.07.2009  21:15
  Fgc(3).zip    08.07.2009  21:15
  Fgc(4).zip    07.07.2009  22:03
  Fgc(5).zip    06.07.2009  22:13
  xxx.zip         19.07.2009  22:09
  xxx(1).zip     04.07.2009  22:12 

JohnGray

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 02:48:08 PM »

AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE TIME ZONE when BST changes to GMT, and vice versa (UK-specific, but applies wherever countries change to and from Daylight Savings Time).

Can't this be sorted out very straightforwardly via the NTP server?

Thanks!

tnbtaylor

• Tatanka
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 08:30:49 AM »

Hello BuffaloTech,

I has a 2009 Christmas wish list for Buffalo.  Will you help?

1. A Log Out button to log off the web interface.  Clearly this is needed now;
  2. A user log which keeps track of users and date/times of users who have logged onto the web interface for the owner to keep track of usage;
  3. The ability to grant only 'read' permissions to users (no matter what I select, my users always get 'read/write' permission on the web interface);
  4. The ability to hide folders from users I select in the web interface (i.e. Some are visible/accessible to user1, while others are visible/accessible to user2; but user1 should not see user2's files);
  5. The web interface should be designed to look more like a user friendly web page versus the archaic look it now has.  Why can't the icons in the web interface look like normal window icons?  Why can't it look like windows?
  6. Better web interface with photos, music, videos, etc. (i.e.. Preview buttons, play buttons, album covers, etc).
  7. Create a more-comprehensive user manual for the Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo.  This manual is awful and only provides basic info.  I have had to call BuffaloTech many times for clarifications on set-up.
  8. Allow files that are hidden by Windows to be hidden on the Buffalo NAS.  Right now, the Buffalo shows all files which is awful.  I can see album art files, Vista hidden files, and other crap I don't want to see...

I'm sure there is more to the list, but this would be a great start.  Perhaps other can think of more and post for BuffaloTech to respond?

Let's get this NAS to be the best ever NAS on the market!

Thanks,

Tom

field64

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »

I would like to see the following:

#1 SSH

#2 sftp or scp

#3 SNMP support - at least basic MIB-II interface stats

#4 RADIUS administrator and share Authentication

Otherwise, a very nice product

soso

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 04:36:53 AM »

Linkstation Mini / LS-WS1.0TGL/R1 (Firmware V.1.06)

Please add a timer on/off function as other linkstation already have!

I don't know if this is possible at all, but this is what I really miss!

It would be really GREAT to have a timer on/off. There is no need for me to run the linkstation in the night.

I use "embedded devices" as the sonos sound system to play music from the linkstation. Sonos is not and will not be able to send the WOL Packages frequently to use the auto-on off function.

So, if possible, please add the timer function for on / off to the next firmware !!!

and, as chrisnas mentioned here before:

- a configurable HDD spin down setting

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »

for new ideas, please now use the Idea Exchange Board.