Author Topic: TeraStation Dead?  (Read 1605 times)

ScottPR

• Calf
TeraStation Dead?
« on: June 20, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »
Post power-loss, restarting Terastation t400d404, says no init file hdd 2. won't connect via DHCP'd address (refused connection).

Is it dead? Should I give up on it?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: TeraStation Dead?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »
Sounds like you may have failed hard drive(s) or at least some issue with your boot files. It sounds like your situation should be recoverable tough possibly requiring replacing drive(s) and/or re-installing firmware.

what model Terastation is this? I think you missed a digit when you originally posted it.

Also, does it have any data on it that you still need? If you need to recover data you should focus on that first, otherwise if you're just looking to get the device back online you've got plenty of options.

ScottPR

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 11:22:55 AM »
Model: TS3400D0404

As for data: it's used to store backups.  I'm running new backups to the backup Buffalo, so we've already failed over, as far as that's concerned. But I'd like to be able to get some misc stuff off the device, if possible.

Tried booting after removing drive 2 (read that from another post) no luck.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »
It's somewhat interesting that it's getting all the way to hdd2 (presumable hdd0 and hdd1 also didn't work).

For this model recovery is relatively easy since it has a recovery image built into the onboard NAND flash. If you wipe all the drives and re-insert them the device will boot from the NAND into EM mode. You can then do a fresh frimeware installation using TSUpdater in debug mode:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Enable_Debug_mode

If you're interested you can install Debian Linux rather than the stock firmware:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Installing_Debian_on_Armada-370_Devices