Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo, Only network light error  (Read 7521 times)

chili

• Calf
LinkStation Pro Duo, Only network light error
« on: November 03, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »

I just installed some larger drives to my Pro Duo, 2 matching 1tb sata drives.

I tftp booted into to EM mode and then reflashed it using the updater 3.3.07 to restore the unit to factory settings however in the final stages it booted into a state where only the network activity light is on.

It is unresponsive to the power and reset buttons and doesn't appear to be acquiring a ip from the network or attempting to pull files from the tftp server.

Any ideas how I can get the unit to recover, or the least boot into EM mode?

Thanks in advance. 

chili

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo, Only network light error
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:39:07 PM »
   For the record the drives are Samsung HD103UJ Spinpoint 1TB F1 SATA 300 7200 rpm 32MB Cache

chili

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:42:19 AM »

Oh dear, just got off the phone from EMEA Techincal Support, Apparently I am not allowed to upgrade the drives and because I have my 2 year warranty is null and void. Actually it was less monochrome than that, still not entirely sure whether I can remove a drive or not without voiding. One is "ok" at my own risk, but opening the box exposes me to a risk of electrocution. I think what they didn't like was the tftp boot that apperently is definately outside the warrantly as far as they were concerned. Everything I did was documented in the KB or on their website so it rubs a bit.

I looked at all the warrenty info on the Buffalo website and it is pretty general so they could void you for most things in theory. I haven't found anything that tells me that I am not allowed to remove a drive on the LS Pro Duo specifically, and given the easy access front bezel and the raid feature you would expect to be able to swap out a drive - but maybe not. 

Ironically it was the firmware update that appears to have messed the unit up. I imagine that some bootloader that sits in the units flash memory didn't get reflashed right - is there anyway back from here, can I flash the memory by connecting to points on the PCB. I am sure it is something Buffalo could do but it looks like I am on my own as far as they are concerned, Ideas anyone?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »
   Did you replace both drives at once? If so then you have lost the boot image just is contained on a partition on the HDD, the way to do this correctly (assuming you have RAID1) is to replace one drive, restructure the RAID array (which will take hours) then replace the second drive and again restructure the RAID array.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

chili

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 01:51:37 AM »

I got the unit without any drives so swapping them out one at a time wasn't an option.

The method I used to restire the unit to factory is documented in this forum.

What I am really wanting to know is can I recover from this. 

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »
It may be possible to recover from this. Pop out both the drives, wipe the partitions from them, put them back in the unit and try to TFTP boot it again. Also, if you bought a diskless Pro Duo then putting disks in it as far as I know should not have voided the warranty, these aren't available in the US though so I can't say for sure.

chili

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 04:21:12 PM »

Thanks Matt, sadly that didn't really make any difference. I wiped both drives (the firmware flash + partition rebuild that left me with the green network light error. did manage to rebuild the partitions) and it is exactly the same.

I am a bit stuck now. The next logical step would be to wire up the com outpout and see whats happening at a system level...but that really would blow my warranty.

EMEA Tech Support seems very adamant that I was out in the cold after swapping both drives. Is there any chance you could check the offical position on this. If the drive replacement isn't a problem then the unit is still under warranty if drive replacement is an issue then the Buffalo website needs to be updated to warn others that might end up where I am right now.

I am certain the unit can be brought back from the brink but I imagine it will require jtagging to repair whatever went wrong with the bootloader. That said I am not sure there is a obvious place to jtag the Duo.

Any help would be greatly received.

Tom 

caboche

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »

Hello chili

Does you're LS PRO DUO works again ?

Have you succed to recover it with the two new drives.

Thanks for your lights.

Caboche 

chili

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »

Sadly not infact things aren't looking too hopeful

As I no longer have a warrenty I cracked open the case and wired up the serial output.

I am just getting 

?Orion1   CPU =  Low

Which is the first line of the normal boot up process and seems to point to a lack of working U-Boot...which I imagine the reflash distroyed.

Looking to find a way to bring it back to life.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 05:16:51 PM »

TFTP software can be found at

ftp://24.153.165.234/disk1/share/nas-recovery

please search for tftp in the forums, this will give you step by step directions.