Author Topic: Firmware upgrade bricked Linkstation LS-XHL E06  (Read 10998 times)

European

• Tatanka
Firmware upgrade bricked Linkstation LS-XHL E06
« on: August 01, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »

I upgraded the firmware on the LS-XHL and bricked the device. When the unit boots up the led is flashing six times which I suppose means error E06.

The Linkstation does not show up in NASNavigator and I am unable to reflash the unit.

I would like to try a tftp boot, but I am unable to locate a boot image for the LS-XHL.

Where can I find the boot image? Any other suggestions on checking in how bad a state the unit is?

Thanks

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Firmware upgrade bricked Linkstation LS-XHL E06
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »

Go to ftp://209.252.83.162/share/nas-recovery/

usernamer: buffalo

pw: buffalo

6 flashes means it can't find the hard drive in the device.  So a TFTP boot might fix it.  But most of the time it's a controller issue or hard drive issue.

And make sure you follow the other thread about how to do the TFTP properly.  

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=330&query.id=13404#M330

European

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »

I have downloaded the file TFTP Boot Recovery LS-XL 1.00.exe. Can you confirm this is the file required for the LS-XHL as it is not specified in the read me file?

By the way, can a firmware upgrade cause the device not to find the hard drive anymore?

European

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:42:13 PM »

The first time I booted the LS-XHL by tftp boot, the LS-XHL read the boot image and the status light was flashing orange for awhile after which it flashed red. The second time I tried it, the LS-XHL booted by tftp boot and I was able to see the unit in NASNavigator (and it showed the unit running the new firmware).

I did a forced update of the firmware and LSUpdater showed the firmware to be applied properly. However at the end of the update process, the unit rebooted and AGAIN it is not booting properly.

Could it be that there is a problem with the boot image in the new firmware?

European

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:50:49 AM »
   It looks like this post gives an hint of the problem. http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=13567 While it applies to the LS-CHL, it seems that the firmware of the LS-CHL and LS-XHL are very similar. My recommendation DO NOT UPGRADE TO 1.20.

European

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:37:22 AM »

I successfully downgrade to firmware version 1.10 which means that I don't have to return the unit to Buffalo. Buffalo told me that there are no reports of boot issues with the LS-XHL, but I am convinced that the firmware of LS-CHL and the LS-XHL are very similar.

All three steps at the top of this forum were required. I will summarize them here so you have a feeling of what should be happening and what could happen.

• When the led of the unit flashing red, it indicates the error mode, for example six flashes means E06 which mean either an harddisk issue or an issue with the boot image.
  • When the led is flashing red, there is no network traffic on the port and the unit is not trying to perform a TFTP boot.
  • Get the tftp boot software from Buffalo's site, set the IP address of the PC to 192.168.11.1, and start the tftp server. The tftp server will display a message listening on 192.168.11.1: 69. The IP address is important because in EM mode, the unit's IP address will be on the 192.168.11.x subnet.
  • When the unit is put in EM mode, it will first try to execute a tftp boot and load the boot image from the tftp server.
  • To put the unit (LS-XHL) in EM mode, press and hold the function button before turning the power on. The function button will be flashing rapidly and can be released. At this point, nothing will happen.
  • Press and keep the function button pressed. Both the led and function key will flash blue rapidly. After a while, both the function key and led will stop flashing and the led will flash red once and will again flash blue rapidly. The function button has stopped flashing. At this point you can safely release the function key.
  • The unit will now start download the boot image. You will see that it first downloads uImage.buffolo followed by init.rd.buffalo.
  • The unit will be booting now. If the unit will at any time start flashing orage, the boot is failing and most likely you will have to try again. One way to get a feeling of comfort is to put your ear close to the unit. If you hear the harddisk reading, the unit is booting correctly and the led should be on blue constantly after a while. If the led keeps blinking and you don't hear anything, the unit probably will never stop blinking and you have to try again.
  • I got different results based on the PC. If one PC, the unit was able to do an tftp boot but never completed the boot; with another the tftp went successfully. So if the tftp server shows the image has been read, but the unit never completes the boot, you may have to try another PC. In both cases, the PCs were running Windows XP SP3. so I am not sure why the difference.

erikdobbel

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 11:16:45 AM »

Thanks for your extensive report on how you fixed the &%*()#$@*(&! thing. I've spent quite some time on it, so far, and it reacts differently from what you describe:

in step 4, I never say a TFTP response coming in on the console of the TFTP Boot utility (yes, firewall is off). Using Wireshark, I saw that it keeps trying to obtain a DHCP address, which it does not get since it is connected directly to my laptop and only to my laptop (which has address 192.168.1.11, indeed). It gratuitously starts using 169.254.255.237, which is actually pingable. No web interface. Blue status light blinking frantically, function key is not lit. repeated this a couple of times, with an XP and a Vista (64bit) laptop, same result.

NASnavigator sometimes found the thing at the 169.254.255.237 address, with strange strings LSUpdater likewise, no updating poosible?

Can You (Buffalo) help me out or should I return it? Seems to be a problem t6hat occus more often, can I trust this product?

European

• Tatanka
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 06:34:35 PM »

Three comments:

• If the blue LED is flashing, your unit is not in EM mode and it will not try to boot through tftp.
  • Are you sure your PC is set to the correct IP address; 192.168.1.11 is not correct
  • I was using a desktop and laptop both running Windows XP Professional; the desktop worked fine; I never could get it to boot through tftp on my laptop

erikdobbel

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »

hi,

Thanks for getting back to this issue.

• Indeed, no TFTP traffic passes over the direct link between the LS-XHL and the laptops. In some tests, the Navigator showed the LS-XHL with garbage characters, also stating it is in EM mode. apparantly, it isn't
  • 192.168.11.1 is what I entered in the network configuration settings of all three machines I used. Sorry for posting this typo
  • I'm not at the point where any laptop or desktop could make a difference, since the LS-XHL does not try to reach it anyway.

I followed the procedure to get into EM mode, and tried some variations. Any other suggestions to force it?

Thanks, Erik

European

• Tatanka
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 08:48:06 PM »

I have no other suggestion at this time. The description I gave on what you shoud observe during the tftp boot I observed consistanty. If the unit is unabe to do a tftp boot it wi proceed in trying to do boot from harddisk. I never got it to work on my laptop and I don't why.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 03:17:53 AM »

If the unit is in EM mode then you cannot perform a TFTP becuase the unit is acutally booting its running off of the flash.  What you need to try is the Force Firmware and check the boxes for Delete User Config and Rebuild Partition Table.  Please note that this will erase all data.

lostandfound

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »

NAS Model LS-XHL.5TL-EU, less than a year old

Worked fine until today. It started blinking Red 6 times. At first NAS navigator found it reporting it was in emergency mode. NAS was not in use at time nor flash upgrade or anything like it was performed.

After 3-4 reboots there is no way NAS Navigator2 or LS updater can see the unit.

After numerous atempts on different computers i managed to load files via TFTP boot:

I am stuck here. Any ideas? TFTP loading means that it reads from memory and the disk might be broken?

The unit blinks red six times, after pressing function blinks blue.

Is there something i can try or is there any software i am not aware yet to diagnose the unit?

TNX for reply in advance!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 06:35:46 PM »

Did you try running the firmware update immediately after per my walkthrough?