Author Topic: LS-L320GL with firmware2.01 - copy file accross only 4MB/sec ????  (Read 5560 times)

qdt

• Calf

Hi Guys,
I have upgraded my LS-L320GL from 1.04 to 2.01 and found that when copy file (4GB) from my PC accross LS-L320GL; it does take long time... thruput about 4MB/sec on a 1Gig interface... do youhave any problem with that ? I also tried direct connection with crossover cable but the results the same... Please help
QDT

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: LS-L320GL with firmware2.01 - copy file accross only 4MB/sec ????
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:49:20 PM »
How full is the unit?  The firmware shouldn't affect the speed like that as far as I know.  You can try resetting the unit.

qdt

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »

It is reset and it is also firmware downgraded to original v1.04. But when copy file from PC to LS-L320GL, thruput is slow.... could not get full speed of Gig connection.
???? what to do next ???? 

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »

You will never get the full speed of a gigabit connection on a single-drive NAS.  The drive itself is a physical bottleneck, with real throughput slower than gigabit's saturation level.

But 4GB/sec is pretty slow.  I would check the following:

Reboot/restart the LinkStation.

Reboot/restart any connected devices (your computer).

Make sure there are no backup jobs in progress.

Make sure no other applications or connections from your computer or an other computer are consuming bandwidth.

After all that if you're still getting 4GB/sec, try bypassing your router and connecting directly to your PC.  Check again.

Soylent

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »

1000 mbps (gigabit lan, 1000 megabits per second) converts to 125 MB/ps (megabytes per second). But you should be getting speeds around 20 MB/ps, realistically. You'll be limited by the hardware speed of the Linkstation at that point, so it might be even slower.

Obviously you need a gigabit switch, and a gigabit lan port on your PC to get full speed.

Source:

http://www.numion.com/Calculators/Units.html

Message Edited by Soylent on 08-03-2009 06:53 AM

qdt

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 03:10:16 AM »
   Well, I have Gigabit switch, PC with Gig interface. So what else ? I also connet PC direct to LS-L320GL unit , when copying from one to other speed is still 4-5Mbps... I am disappointed with Buffalo. I also found that default password is also a mystery too.. Can't figure out what it is and can't find a reference to reset to default password. Could you help.

qdt

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 03:15:55 AM »
   mistype... I still get 4-5MBps (around <40Mbps)... poorer than USB2 30MBps

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:03:04 AM »

Plug the LinkStation directly into your PC.

Ensure that you're using Cat5e or better cabling.

Ensure that you're using a 1000BaseT (Gigabit) network adapter in your computer.

Ensure that the computer has sufficient processing power (and isn't busy using it on some other application).

Ensure that the LinkStation is not running DLNA.  Turn off web access.  Turn off FTP.  (for the sake of testing)

Ensure that the LinkStation isn't busy spooling a print job or transferring some other file.  In fact, re-initialize it.

Try your file transfers again.  Upstream I generally get 7-9MB/sec.  Downstream I usually get 14-22MB/sec.

If you still aren't getting adequate transfer speeds, don't assume it's the NAS's fault; it could be your NIC or your PC.

If you do get good transfer speeds after all this, start adding in options and seeing if you continue getting good speeds.  For example, now connect through the router (Cat5e or better, again, both PC to router, and NAS to router).  Test again.  Next, turn back on web access.  Test again.  Set up port forwarding on your router, test again, and so on, until you're back to the functionality you desire.  If at some point suddenly the throughput drops off, take a step back and ask what you just changed that resulted in the drop.

qdt

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 05:06:00 AM »

Thanks for sharing your thought. Basically I have a PC with Gig inteface and I connect it directly via cat5e or better. Confirm PC got Gig interface link up (verified Gig, could not verify Linkstation as there is no mechanism to check it, assume it is Gig as other end is Gig). My compturer is Petium Duo core 3GHz, plenty of grunt to do simple transfer file from PC to Linkstation. So I am sure it is correctly setup... only thing disappoint me is that there is not enough info avail from Buffalo to help me to pin point problem. I think it is Linkstation is the problem but has nothing to prove (I mean be able to look into device - like debug or sort of tool to look into it details). Manual and instruction is offering very basic and not much details. I think I would not to buy this product again. Unless info avail to help me...
Thanks for your help.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »
4 MB is a little slow but doas is right in that you will not gigabit speeds as this is a NAS device not a file server.

Soylent

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 03:36:28 PM »

Doas, I was just wondering why your upstream (to the NAS) would be slower than down? It's a gig connection both ways..

Is it perhaps because the NAS writes slower than it reads? Still, 7-9MB/s write speed is pretty slow for a SATA hard drive. Maybe it's because it's writing to a unix filesystem and it's converting the data somehow, and downstream the more-powerful PC converts it at a faster rate?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
The bottleneck is at the processor, not the disk or network. Disk writes will take more time than reads.

qdt

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:06:12 PM »

I reckon it is LS-L320GL is at fault (there is no tool to verify it). Both up/down speed is the same when copy file from one to other. One thing I notice when I copy file size smaller say less than 500MB then speed is bit faster 6-7MBps.
Do you experience the same problem ? do you have the same unit ? if yes, what have you found ?

Soylent

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »

I just did a little test on a single Seagate SATA 3.0, 7200rpm hard drive using HDTune, and I'm seeing that on my workstation (dual Xeon), the transfer speeds max out at 75 MB/s, and average at 57 MB/s.

So, unless I'm wrong, it seems that gigabit ethernet at 125 MB/s can be up to three times faster than today's non-enterprise hard drives. So getting write speeds on the NAS around 7-9 MB/s and read speed at 20+, that's completely acceptable, in my opinion. The NAS might even be a SATA 1.5 running at 5400 rpm.

benchmark