Author Topic: Can't update firmware, LS-CHL, exhausted possibilities  (Read 2527 times)

cecilrhode

Can't update firmware, LS-CHL, exhausted possibilities
« on: June 05, 2019, 10:23:35 AM »
Hi all

Firstly,let me say that I don't contact a forum for help unless I'm totally clueless about something or have explored everything I can think of. So, either way, it means I'm lost. :)

The last week or so, I thought my Linkstation LS-CHL 500 (blue interface) was failing as downloads would fail and it would not be contactable via Nasnavigator or file manager although it could be ping'ed.

I've moved all the files off it whilst I investigate. I didn't have any problems moving files off, and subsequently have come to think that maybe it was Nasnavigator not keeping the unit awake, (due to the number of hours I've spect accessing the disk without incident) although no idea why it would suddenly stop doing that.

Whilst investigating, I intended to do a disk check but found that the option wasn't available. Under Disk Management/Disk check, there is no disk in the drop down menu to select, the drop down arrow doesn't do anything. I can't check the box to 'remove Mac-dot underscore files' either, although I'm not on a mac so that may be correct. Consequently, the 'apply' button is greyed out.

This is what I see:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/syyvhpxwnd6k9b3/Capture.JPG?dl=0

The same is true of the Disk Format menu as well.

The disk erase does appear to work but I know that will take a day or more.

So, should I be able to use the facilities - disk check/format?

Secondly, I thought I would update the firmware as I'm using FW 1.12 which goes back 6 or more years. I thought maybe updating the FW might allow me to use the disk check facility, but up to date FW is usally a good thing. I've gone round and round getting the message that no unit needing updating could be found. I need big help with this.

The FW I have from https://www.buffalo-technology.com/ is v1.74
I normally access the LS through a home network and GB switch. Nasnavigator can always reach the LS and browse the shares, the web UI works as well.

Trying in my usual setup , the updater can't find the LS. I've tried disabling virus sw and firewall to no effect. I've tried in safe mode. No difference. I've connected the PC directly to the LS and tried, again in safemode.

Now, I read about the IP of the LS when connected directly. At all times, whatever setup I have, I've ensured that I can browse the shares either through Nasnavi or web UI.

When connected directly, the LS set its IP to 169.254.220.133 subnet 255.255.0.0 so I set my PC to 169.254.220.131 with same subnet as LS. even though I can browse the shares, the updater still reports that there is no unit needing updating. I also set the PC to 192.168.11.10 as I read that the LS contacts that IP. Still no effect. Whatever IP is in use, I check with IPconfig and Nasnavi that they are in the same range, and I also check that the LS can be browsed (except for the last one I mention).

I have also edited the *.ini file adding the line
[SpecialFLags]
Debug = 1

and setting Version Check = 0

I've also added a shortcut switch /force to the updater file.

Nothing has worked.

I'm inclined maybe to abandon the FW update as the LS appears to work, but I would like a functioning disk check.

I've considered TFTP but my understading is that if the LS is browserable, then TFTP isn't needed.

I wondered if the FW is incompatible, but it is the only newer one on the website and the USA website doesn't list any at all. Consequenly it's not possible to try an intermediate FW.

Any ideas?
Nothing has worked.

Update, I had an idea. I went to the website above and downloaded the same FW that I'm using. I edited the ini file to ignore file versions. When I ran the updater it found the LS, even with the firewall and anti-virus running! Funnily, once it finds the drive, it asks for the administrator's password, but it won't accept it. I have typed the admin details & password in the web UI and copied them to clipboard. Hitting 'enter' allows me to log in as admin, so the password must be correct. Going to the updater, and pasting from the clipboard (cntrl-v, and right click/paste) gets teh message that it "couldn't pass to the authentication, please confirm again admin password of <unit name>". Typing the password in gets the same message.

So the old updater can find the LS even with firewall and virus SW running, but won't accept the password, whilst the new updater won't find the LS! Is this a bit wierd?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:46:22 AM by cecilrhode »

cecilrhode

Re: Can't update firmware, LS-CHL, exhausted possibilities
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:58:02 AM »
I've found part of the problem.

The *'ini file for v1.12 FW has the line
ProductID = 0x00000010

This is missing from thw v1.74 FW. Adding that line allows the updater to find the LS. It shows the current FW and the new FW and all the info about the LS is correct. It runs into the problem of not recognising the adminpassword though so won't go any further.

I'm wondering if this FW is actually for this LS because it seems a monumental screwup to release an updater that doesn't look for the unit it's aimed at! It's cost me hours.

I still can't update the FW and still can't perform disk check or format though.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 12:56:51 PM »
If you can see he device in NasNavigator but not in LSUpdater it's likely because the device isn't one of the models supported by particular LSUpdater. You've identified the config file that controls that but generally it limits it to prevent you from ruining a device by flashing the wrong firmware.

This page has both firmware versions on it and explains which is for which model:
http://buffalo.jp/support_ap/support/products/ls_chl.html

cecilrhode

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 01:21:21 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your reply.

I've downloaded the latest version from that site and it's the same as the one from the UK/Europe site. It doesn't work unless the ini file is changed in the same way that the UK version is. When it's changed, it won't accept the admin password.

I don't see why this FW is described as being for this LS when it clearly isn't suitable, either by design or accident.

Notwithstanding incompatibility of V1. 74, there's no explanation why V1. 12 won't accept the admin password or why the disk check and format options are not available.

The failure of both versions to accept the admin password is a puzzle.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 01:51:56 PM »
That is a bit strange. If you don't have any vital data on the device you can always wipe the drive and start over.

Here is some info that might be helpful:

Instructions for disassembling the device:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170414044718/http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/2008/11/081112__disassemble.html

Instructions for reinstalling firmware:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Restoring_Stock_Firmware_without_TFTP

cecilrhode

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:08:44 PM »
Hi again just had another go. Thanks for the links, might not be needed now.

I downloaded the Asia version of FW1. 12 and with version checking disabled it worked. At the password stage it accepted the password but then said the FW was the same as the one in use so updating wasn't needed. I assume I could use the 'force' option if I wanted to but I'm doing a test download so didn't want to interrupt it. It's stalled once so I'm still not confident the LS doesn't have a fault. The password problem I think was a blank space at the end of the pw that was copied over. (doesn't explain why typing it in didn't work though)

I tried the UK version1. 12 and with the correct pw it worked and again said the fw was the same.

I haven't tried it with V1. 74 again because it seems not to be compatible and I don't want to risk the update actually working and bricking the LS.

So, the problem I have now is why the disk check and format options can't be used in my unit (are they ever enabled in this FW?) , and if V1. 74 can be used or not.

I still have reservations about the disk so I can't use it at the moment.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 02:29:19 PM »
It sounds like the hard drive might be going bad, particularly if it's original to that 10+ year old device.

cecilrhode

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »
Yes, it's original, that's why I'd like the disk check function on the UI to work :D

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 03:19:49 PM »
I'd suggest pulling it out and connecting it to a pc and using some sort of diagnostic utility to check it's health

cecilrhode

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
That would be an idea, but it's beyond me I'm afraid. I'm disabled and don't have the dexterity or strength to take it apart. I tried a few years ago when I wanted to put a bigger drive in. Couldn't manage it then stand much less chance now.  :(

cecilrhode

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 09:39:28 AM »
Thanks for your help in this 1000001101000, but in tryikng to update the FW. I've run into problem and have started a new thread.