Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo raid hard drive error  (Read 4499 times)

alex

• Calf
LinkStation Pro Duo raid hard drive error
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:36:42 AM »

Hello,

I looking for a backup system  for my data at home.

I configure my LinkStation Pro Duo as a raid 1 system.

If one of my hard drives crashes, can I just install a new hard drive and the raid will rebuilt itself without data lost?

Or do I have to copy all data from my still running disk to an external hard drive and copy them again into the LinkStation after the new hard drive is installed?

alex

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo raid hard drive error
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:19:19 AM »

The built in software will make the copy for you.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »

Paul wrote:

The built in software will make the copy for you.

Hmm correct me if im wrong but if you do have a disk failure then you need to restart the unit, go to the web GUI, select the new disk and then select restructure RAID array, it will not do it for you!!

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

alex

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:42:57 AM »
   Will the data be lost during this procedure?

steve65

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »

Hi All,

I do not know if this helps or not but let me share my experiences.

I have a 1TB Duo which is about 6 months old.  The Duo is set up to be mirrored, thankfully since one of my hard drives failed.  I have attempted to restructure the disk 2 or 3 times since the failure but each time it fails.  During the restructure I retained all of the data on my Duo.

I have been backing up my Duo using a 500GB USB Drive.  I did not realized though that the backup drive was not backing everything up.  The USB drive was formatted for FAT32, my fault.  So any file over 2GB did not get backed up.  The reason I choose FAT 32 is so that the backup drive could be read by both my MAC and PC OSs.

I am now in the process of RMA'ing the Duo.  It would be much better if Buffalo sent a replacement drive that I can install myself.  It seems like a waste of money and energy to send everything back.  According to the RMA they want the unit, cables, CDs everything.  However before I send it back I am picking up another 500GB drive to back up everything on the Duo.  I do not want to overwrite my only backup in case the second drive fails on the Duo.