Author Topic: How to propertly install & RAID two 3TB HDDS in a Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL  (Read 3235 times)

mlatino

• Calf
Although the Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 is an old NAS, mine is still working like a champ, thus the reason why I upgraded the storage from two RAIDED 1 TB 3.5 SATA HDDs to two RAIDED 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDDs. My method is simple and to the point without having to TFTP and other unnecessary things. The only drawback is that it's going to take you a total of about 30 hours for the RAIDs to configure and so forth. But don't worry, it will only take about 30 minutes of man time to configure your NAS. The rest of the time you can be away from your NAS while it does its thing.

Here we go!

Step 1. Connect to your Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 using NAS Navigator. I'm currently using NAS Navigator 2 for my MacBookProVersion 2.96. (Feel free to download the version for your OS from here, under Utilities: https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/terastation-home-server)
Step 2. Once Connected, go to File --> Settings. This should open up your NAS web interface. You may also enter the NAS IP Address from your favorite browser. I use Firefox.
Step 3. Log in using either the generic default password (admin/password) or the Username and password you configured it to.
Step 4. Go to https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/terastation-home-server and download the latest firmware update. In my case, it was firmware version 1.74.
Step 5. Once downloaded, follow the prompts to run the firmware update.  In my case, I had to wait about 5 minutes for the update to complete. Do not do anything until you see the message that the update has successfully completed. So, just sit back, have a cup of coffee and chillax.
Step 6. Now, turn off the Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 and carefully open the front of the NAS and remove only one of the 1 TB 3.5 SATA HDDs.
Step 7. Grab one of your new 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDDs and carefully insert it in place of the old HDD.
Step 8. Turn the NAS back on and wait for the system to turn on. You will see both the Blue and Amber (Orange) lights blink. Wait until the Blue light stops blinking and is a steady Blue light. Don't worry if the Amber (Orange) light blinks. This only means that the RAID is working and is configuring the new 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD. (Note: This step will take about 6 hours, so feel free to step away and come back in 6 hours)
Step 9. After 6 Hours, you should come back to a steady blue light and NO blinking Amber light. This means that the data has been copied from the 1 TB SATA HDD to the 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD. You can verify that this has happened by opening the NAS Navigator. Don't worry if you only see 1 TB. That is perfectly normal.
Step 10. Turn off the Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 and this time, take out the 1 TB 3.5 SATA HDD and replace it with the new 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD. Make sure they fit perfectly inside each of their slots.
Step 11. Close the front of the Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 NAS and turn it back on. You will see both the Blue and Amber (Orange) lights blink. Wait until the Blue light stops blinking and is a steady Blue light. Don't worry if the Amber (Orange) light continues to blink. This only means that the RAID is working and is configuring the 2nd new 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD.
Step 12. Open the NAS Navigator and go to File --> Settings. This will open the NAS web interface.
Step 13. Once logged in, select System and then Storage. From here, delete the current Array 1. You will accomplish this by clicking Array 1 and then select Delete RAID Array. (Note: Wait for this process to finish by looking at the progress on the left-hand side)
Step 14. Once completed, create a RAID 1 using both new 3.5 SATA HDDs. You will accomplish this by selecting the Create Array 1 and choosing RAID 1. (Note: Wait for this process to finish by looking at the progress on the left-hand side. Here RAID 1 will create a mirror of the original configured HDD)
Step 15. At this point, you will now see that your newly installed 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD is showing up as 2,913,450,564 KB Array 1. Under RAID Array, you will see that the status is Checking. (Note: This checking will take about 16-24 hours, so feel free to step away and come back within 16-24 hours)
Step 16. You will need to log in to the NAS web interface just like you did on Steps 2 and 12. Once logged in, you will now see that the status is showing up as Normal. At this point, you are all set. If you need help with how to configure your NAS so you can create users and so forth, feel free to download the User Manual found here: https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/terastation-home-server

I hope this helps extend the life of your Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 NAS.

Best regards!

Mario

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
it is better to delete the current Array 1 (Step13) before Step 6

maybe your 6 hours from Step 8 will be 5 mins

mlatino

• Calf
Thanks! We tried that and it didn't' work for us, thus the reason for this post.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:14:04 PM by mlatino »

danesoper

• Calf
In Step13, does "Delete RAID array" cause data to be lost?  I am attempting to update a do a similar drive upgrade on a LS420, but once replaced, I performed the "Recover RAID array" and now only see my original 1T available in the array, but the drives show 4T size.  If I "Delete RAID array" and "Create RAID Array 1" will I lose data?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
You can't increase the capacity without erasing the data. Deleting the array will erase the data.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Mathew23

• Calf
Although the Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 is an old NAS, mine is still working like a champ, thus the reason why I upgraded the storage from two RAIDED 1 TB 3.5 SATA HDDs to two RAIDED 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDDs. My method is simple and to the point without having to TFTP and other unnecessary things. The only drawback is that it's going to take you a total of about 30 hours for the RAIDs to configure and so forth. But don't worry, it will only take about 30 minutes of man time to configure your NAS. The rest of the time you can be away from your NAS while it does its thing.

Here we go!

Step 1. Connect to your Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 using NAS Navigator. I'm currently using NAS Navigator 2 for my MacBookProVersion 2.96. (Feel free to download the version for your OS from here, under Utilities: https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/terastation-home-server fnf )
Step 2. Once Connected, go to File --> Settings. This should open up your NAS web interface. You may also enter the NAS IP Address from your favorite browser. I use Firefox.
Step 3. Log in using either the generic default password (admin/password) or the Username and password you configured it to.
Step 4. Go to https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/terastation-home-server and download the latest firmware update. In my case, it was firmware version 1.74.
Step 5. Once downloaded, follow the prompts to run the firmware update.  In my case, I had to wait about 5 minutes for the update to complete. Do not do anything until you see the message that the update has successfully completed. So, just sit back, have a cup of coffee and chillax.
Step 6. Now, turn off the Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 and carefully open the front of the NAS and remove only one of the 1 TB 3.5 SATA HDDs.
Step 7. Grab one of your new 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDDs and carefully insert it in place of the old HDD.
Step 8. Turn the NAS back on and wait for the system to turn on. You will see both the Blue and Amber (Orange) lights blink. Wait until the Blue light stops blinking and is a steady Blue light. Don't worry if the Amber (Orange) light blinks. This only means that the RAID is working and is configuring the new 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD. (Note: This step will take about 6 hours, so feel free to step away and come back in 6 hours)
Step 9. After 6 Hours, you should come back to a steady blue light and NO blinking Amber light. This means that the data has been copied from the 1 TB SATA HDD to the 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD. You can verify that this has happened by opening the NAS Navigator. Don't worry if you only see 1 TB. That is perfectly normal.
Step 10. Turn off the Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 and this time, take out the 1 TB 3.5 SATA HDD and replace it with the new 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD. Make sure they fit perfectly inside each of their slots.
Step 11. Close the front of the Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 NAS and turn it back on. You will see both the Blue and Amber (Orange) lights blink. Wait until the Blue light stops blinking and is a steady Blue light. Don't worry if the Amber (Orange) light continues to blink. This only means that the RAID is working and is configuring the 2nd new 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD.
Step 12. Open the NAS Navigator and go to File --> Settings. This will open the NAS web interface.
Step 13. Once logged in, select System and then Storage. From here, delete the current Array 1. You will accomplish this by clicking Array 1 and then select Delete RAID Array. (Note: Wait for this process to finish by looking at the progress on the left-hand side)
Step 14. Once completed, create a RAID 1 using both new 3.5 SATA HDDs. You will accomplish this by selecting the Create Array 1 and choosing RAID 1. (Note: Wait for this process to finish by looking at the progress on the left-hand side. Here RAID 1 will create a mirror of the original configured HDD)
Step 15. At this point, you will now see that your newly installed 3 TB 3.5 SATA HDD is showing up as 2,913,450,564 KB Array 1. Under RAID Array, you will see that the status is Checking. (Note: This checking will take about 16-24 hours, so feel free to step away and come back within 16-24 hours)
Step 16. You will need to log in to the NAS web interface just like you did on Steps 2 and 12. Once logged in, you will now see that the status is showing up as Normal. At this point, you are all set. If you need help with how to configure your NAS so you can create users and so forth, feel free to download the User Manual found here: https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/terastation-home-server

I hope this helps extend the life of your Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 NAS.

Best regards!

Mario
This seems to take quite a bit of work and it's a bit of a hassle for me. Anyway thanks for sharing, this will help a lot