Author Topic: HS-DHTGL/R5  (Read 2087 times)

wjalexander4

• Calf
HS-DHTGL/R5
« on: April 08, 2019, 06:42:36 PM »
I have a Terastation HS-DHTGL/R5 at home - it's a silver unit that had (4) 1TB drives in it, in a RAID-5 array (3TB usable).  I've had it since new, for many years.  I recently was getting low on space, so I got (4) WD 2.0TB (WD20EARS) hard drives.  I backed up my Terastation to a 4TB external USB drive on my Windows PC.  Then, I systematically replaced the drives, one at a time, restructuring the array each time until  I had all four new drives in the Terastation, but the data was still there and the total array was still 3TB.  Then yesterday, I deleted the array, erased all four drives, created a new array (about 6TB now), created a share, and started copying back my data.  I left for work this morning with my data still copying.

When I got home today, my Terastation had a red light saying "System Error E04 - Cannot Load Krnl."  That's where I am stuck.  I have tried pulling the hard drives, one at a time, then powering the device back up.  Each time, I get the same E04 message with a continuous beep.  I then put that drive back in, and pull the next drive.  Same thing happens each time.

If I pull two drives, the Terastation will boot, but I get the message that (of course) it cannot mount.  I can, however, then browse to the device, login, etc.

I'm running Firmware 2.14.  I'm not sure where to go from here, and would appreciate any ideas.  Thank you.

---Walter

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: HS-DHTGL/R5
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 08:53:50 PM »
it sounds vaguely like the raid devices that make up the system filesystems (or at least boot) didn't add all the drives properly .... or something like that.

To test that hypothesis you could try booting from each drive individually and take note of which boot successfully and which don't. If i'm right some of them would fail.

you could then keep one drive that works and move it to bay 1 and wipe the others and add them in the other bays. then if you can still boot like that you should be able to format the drives again.

if you got telnet/ssh running you could use mdadm --detail to see what's going on with the system arrays too.