Author Topic: TeraStation ts5800d2408-anything disk related gets-no response received fromNAS  (Read 2270 times)

tofucious

• Calf
Hello everyone. I was the lucky recipient of a TeraStation ts5800d2408. It hadn't been used in some time, but it fired right up. I can access the interface no problem, and will not exactly speedy, I get get to wherever I need. Prob,em is, anytime I try to access any disk info in the interface (drives, RAID, Folders, etc...) I get 'No response received by NAS'. All the drives lights are green, and it's running the most current firmware (3.7) on the device. I was going to pull the drives and nuke them, but wasn't sure that was the way to go.

I searched the forums first, so apologies if I missed anything, but any direction would be greatly appreciated.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Personally, I would probably pull the drives, check out their health and wipe then wipe them and start over. Of course only if you don't care about any of the data on them. Admittedly, that's almost always my answer if the firmware is acting strange.

If you do go that route, buffalo provides a recovery image on the support page that makes the process relatively painless.

If you're interested, I've put together some tools for running Debian on these devices instead of the stock firmware. Information about that including installer images can be found at:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Intel_Terastations

tofucious

• Calf
Hey 1000001101000, appreciate the quick response. Think I'm going to go the wipe route first. I'm not quite the linux/Debian master I play on TV. I had seen the recovery image, good to work it's pretty easy. If I eventually go that route, I have a couple of friends who could lend a hand.

I was also wondering if walking back the firmware would help. I've had devices that seemed to thrive on the older and simpler...

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Personally I’d stick to the latest version and only go back if you really have to. They’ve fixed some pretty scary security issues over the years that you don’t really want to mess with.

Admittedly, I don’t have much experience with the stock firmware on the ts5800. I’ve only run Debian on mine except for some brief testing of the stock installer.

I’ve put some other notes/pictures of the device here:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Terastation_TS5800DN

tofucious

• Calf
Ok, I have a better understanding now. I wiped the drives, booted from a recovery stick and used the firmware tool to connect to the NAS and reset the OS. I stuck with the stock firmware for now, as Linux is not my second language, but it made me want to learn. Upon retrospect the process seems pretty simple, but Buffalo documentation certainly leaves room for improvement. Of note: when you remove the stick, be sure to toggle the switch back to boot from HDD. An evening drink makes one forget the little things...

I had found one bad drive, so to fool around set it up with 7. At that point I was able to access everything, including all drive info. The unit is waaaaayyyyyyy faster now. For the most part setup was a breeze, although me and a bud are still trying to figure out secure AD integration.

I had scored a quick replacement drive, but it was bad. When in, the NAS was again super slow which makes me a little concerned how it will act if a drive goes bad when in service, but at least I'll notice quick.

Thanks for the posts 1000001101000.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
The recovery stick is not the latest firmware (for complicated reasons) so be sure to update it.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**