Author Topic: Disable automatic thumbnails on LS500 series  (Read 1886 times)

paudash

• Calf
Disable automatic thumbnails on LS500 series
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:40:09 AM »
Two questions

1st is there a current firmware switch to kill thumbnail files that I'm missing. Yeah theoretically it could be drilled in Linux, that's not practical for our installed base.

2nd does anybody, or the moderator, know if/when this will be an option for the LS500's. Our group isn't buying anymore low-mid range Buffalo NAS until we can get some assurance on this.       p.s. the competition mostly have this feature.

'already read the other older posts on this topic.

thanx in advance
paudash

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: Disable automatic thumbnails on LS500 series
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 12:11:41 PM »
While I don't claim to know development's intent 100%, I would guess this is unlikely to be implemented.

For a unit that is more simply a 'bitbucket' NAS, the LS220 has no thumbnails at all, what is the use case here?
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

paudash

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 04:54:03 AM »
Thanks. Appreciate your informed prediction. 'will pull out the remaining LS500s. Since firmware change seems unlikely, those units will never be suitable for the task at hand.

The task is temporary and flexible storage of incoming professional graphic files. Obviously, that dataset cannot have multiple other files e.g. thumbnails, inserted into the archive in passing. So the LS500s are out - and no-go for a few other tasks too, now that I think about it.

Buffalo marketing strategy is not my biz, but it sure looks like the LS500s are aimed specifically at home/amateur use for some common web/video activities. Kinda odd that the cheaper, lower-in-the line 220's may be cleaner, more biz friendly. 'Would the intended home users of the LS500s really be that put off by a firmware option interface switch to kill extraneous thumbnail files? 'especially if the default shipped from factory was left "on"...

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »
I would guess that most home users aren't especially concerned about the cleanliness of archives, if they archive at all.

All things considered, a LinkStation may not be your best bet. The LS500 has a user interface that's more oriented towards people actually using the NAS as a desktop space.

There are a lot of reasons you might consider going up to a TS3210 including lifetime support and a more robust set of business oriented tools like AD integration and replication to an RSync device.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:00:13 AM by Eastmarch »
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**