Author Topic: TS5800 reporting overheating  (Read 2346 times)

Dalton

• Calf
TS5800 reporting overheating
« on: February 24, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »
Hi all,
I have a TS5800 which keeps advising it is too hot and eventually shuts itself down.  The heat from this unit is far less than another 5800 so suspect this may be an incorrect reading.  Does anyone know what element the device thinks is overheating and is there a way to increase the threshold. Both the fans are working fine.  I dont believe the cpu has a fan and everything seems clean inside so am at a bit of a loss.

I am using the latest firmware and other than this issue everything seems fine.  Any help provided to track down the culprit / suspect area would be appreciated.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: TS5800 reporting overheating
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »
I think there are some logs you can access that might help. There might be info in the users manual on how to access them. Someone with more experience with that piece might chime in about what your options are.

I’ve been working on writing up some info on how to run Debian on these devices and can tell you can look at all the temperature data from within debian. For example you could:

Copy a debian live cd image to a usb drive
Login and run “sudo su” to switch to root
run “apt-get install lmsensors smartmontools hddtemp”
run “modprobe it87” to enable extra motherboard sensors
run “sensors” to see the values of the various temp/fan/voltage sensors
run “hddtemp /dev/sd*” to see the temperature of each hard drive

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »
maybe one disc is to hot (Seagate 7200rpm)

try to open telnet
with the  ACP-Commander-GUI

1) set a password for root
2) start telnet with 
Code: [Select]
/usr/sbin/telnetd3) connect with putty, user root
4) read out the temps with smartctl

Maybe the fancontrol is not working correct

searching your fan
ls -l /proc/buffalo/gpio/fan/
read out the actual fan speed
example
cat /proc/buffalo/gpio/fan/control
set the fanspeed to fast
echo fast >/proc/buffalo/gpio/fan/control

Dalton

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:15:10 AM »

I’ve been working on writing up some info on how to run Debian on these devices and can tell you can look at all the temperature data from within debian. For example you could:

Copy a debian live cd image to a usb drive

Hi, thank you very much for the helpful response, unfortunately I am not conversant at all with Linux but am happy to give your instructions a try.  I have however fallen at the first hurdle.  I will boot the device using USB but looking at the Debian site there are a lot of different options and I haven't a clue which file I need to follow your instructions.

If it makes any difference All my systems here are Windows 10 with the latest standard version of the Buffalo software on the 5800 in question.  To provide more background, I acquired the unit as a spares or repair unit and have populated it with a selection of old drives I had lying around. I have listed them in case there are any known culprits among them. At the moment there is no data stored on the unit and its intended use was just as a backup device so isn't mission critical but I would like it to be reliable and worthy of drive investment in the future.

WD Green 1tb WD10EZRX
Samsung 1tb HD103UJ
2 x Hitachi 1tb HDT7210
Seagate 1tb Constellation ES
WD green 1tb WD10EACS
Seagate 3tb ST3000DM001
Toshiba 1tb HDWD110

I dont believe it is a disk issue as the " I10 Too Hot" warning displays as soon as the unit boots up and I doubt that the drives have done enough to get remotely warm at this point unless the error is being stored and a notification automatically provided on next boot. At this stage we see the warning but the device doesnt shut down or anything. All fans seem to be operating normaly and the heat produced is certainly cooler than another 5800 unit I have running.

In order to progress further would it be possible for you to provide a link to the file that I need to download to use to boot the unit from a USB drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dalton

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 05:03:47 AM »
try to open telnet
with the  ACP-Commander-GUI

1) set a password for root
2) start telnet with 
/usr/sbin/telnetd3) connect with putty, user root ]

Hi, thanks for your help I am not used to linux at all, I have downloaded ACP and it finds the unit and have followed your instructions, have downloaded putty but when I launch it I get an error "connection refused"

Dalton

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
Hi all,
thanks for your help and suggestions on this, I think I have tracked the problem to a Hitachi drive, just about to run a backup to it so fingers crossed.

Thanks again, your help is appreciated.