Author Topic: Terastation Live E04 Can't Load Kernel then Emergency Mode EM593  (Read 15106 times)

wwm

• Calf

My Terastation Live displays the error message E04 Can't Load Kernel it will then go into the Emergency Mode EM593.  I called Buffalo and they suggested flashing the firmware with the latest version. This did not work. My computer could locate the the Terastation and the firmware appeared to be loading but at the end of the process it started beeping and displaying the E04 can't load kernel message.  I then press the power button on the front of the Terastation and it goes back into Emergency Mode.  I want to at least recover my data and don't know what to do next. Thanks for any help with this.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Terastation Live E04 Can't Load Kernel then Emergency Mode EM593
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »

If the unit is still in EM mode I would force flash the firmware.

If the unit is still E04ing I would boot the unit down and remove drive one.  Then I would reboot the unit and see if it boots up.  If it doesn't shut the unit down again, replace drive 1 and remove drive two.  You can then turn th unit back on and see if it boots.  If it doesn't repaet this process until you find the drive that won't allow your unit to boot.  This is the bad HDD that needs to be replaced.

If your unit is within its warranty you can call our support line for an rma replacement for the HDD.

wwm

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »
   Thank you, I will try this but how do you force flash the firmware? I have tried flashing the firmware but believe you mean something else.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:44:48 PM »

The information on how to force the firmware is on the main storage page (FAQ # 2 of 3).  Heres the link:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=9309

wwm

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 12:54:45 PM »
   OK I tried to force the firmware according to those instructions and got he same result as I did when I flashed the firmware: it spent some time updating the firmware but then when it tried to reboot itself it reverted to the E04 error failed to load kernel. Pressing the power button returned it to the emergency mode.  From there I tried removing each hardrive as instructed but when booting it up with three hard drives it went right into emergency mode with each harddrive removed. I don't know what to do now. Thanks for your help.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:45:47 PM »
Then it is most likely a bad HDD.  Shut down the unit and remove drive 1 and see if the unit will boot up.  If it doesn't, shut the unit down again, replace drive 1 and remove drive 2.  Once again see if it boots up and if it doesn't then just continue this process until you find the bad HDD.  Once you have found it you just need to replace it (if its within its warranty then call support for a replacement).

wwm

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:48:39 PM »
   I tried removing each hard drive in turn as well and it still booted up each time in emergency mode.

ashkent

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »

I am having the exact same symptoms on my HS-DHTGL - tried the exact approach for troubleshooting, firmware upgrade, then force firmware with the continuous EO4 error in the end.  Has anyone gotten past this one?

Thanks

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:25:30 PM »

Ash,

That is an indication of HDD failure (most of the firmware is stored on the drives themselves).  You will need to shut down the device and remove drive one, then reboot and see if it boots without the E04.  If it doesn't then you need to boot it down, replace drive one and remove drive two and see if it boots without E04ing.  Repeat this process until it boots up w/o an E04 error.  When it does you will need to replace the drive and restructure it back into the array.

jodyreese

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 01:31:34 PM »

I'm having the same issue with this machine. I pulled each drive one by one and rebooted after each removal and still got the EM mode.

I tried flashing the firmware with Buffalo's latest and then got an acp_state_failure error while trying to update.

Any thoughts on my next step.

All the data is backed up, but I'd like to either recover the data as is or format and reuse.

Thanks,