Author Topic: LS210D with solid red light.... help  (Read 5012 times)

jonvanderlim

• Calf
LS210D with solid red light.... help
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:15:05 PM »
Hi all, I have just changed my router and was having some connection issues, I needed to power down my link station (done via correct method) to relocate the power supply and after boot up the light has gone solid red, I cant get it to respond and after switching if off again via the switch at the back it remains on with the light still red and doesn't appear to be doing anything. please help.

thanks in advance.

Jon

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS210D with solid red light.... help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 02:43:31 PM »
This page describes led codes, though none of them involve a solid red led:
http://buffalo.jp/support_s/guide2/manual/ls200/global/99/en/pc_index.html?Chapter10&key=led#h2anc0

Does it go through the normal process of flashing white as part of the bootup process and then turn solid red or just turn solid red right away?

jonvanderlim

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:55:52 PM »
Hi Thanks for the response,

No it goes solid red strait away and then does nothing, I have since switched it off again with the switch at the back and its condition is un changed with the red light on and disk quietly spinning..

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 02:58:31 PM »
have you tried unplugging it completely?

That sounds like like it's getting stuck before the bootloader even gets going, I'd suggest unplugging it and letting it sit a few minutes then try again.

jonvanderlim

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »
Thank you, I will give that a try.

jonvanderlim

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 03:45:56 PM »
Thank you,

After trying what you suggested it is now going through the boot up process with the white flashing light, its been doing this for a while though.

not sure what to do next though as its not communicating with my router.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 06:23:48 PM »
that's progress of a sort. that indicates it's getting farther in the boot process. I'd suggest waiting a while in case it's doing a disk check or something.

if it doesn't progress past that point after a few hours I'd try again.

there are progressively more drastic things you can try though you might want to talk to support and see what they have to say.

jonvanderlim

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 01:12:34 AM »
I left it over night and it was showing the red light again, I tried to re boot it as per the manual by holding the function button etc and it came up with the red 7 sec error code for firmware corrupted so I am now going to have to call tech support.

I am thoroughly cheesed of with this, I have only had it since Nov and have been using it for my iTunes and my small business to store invoice and customer data, over the weekend I added about 9,000 pictures of the last 10 years of our son growing up, and although I still have all of this data (other than the customer data and that wasn't much), the biggest loss is the time it will take to get it recovered as I now have to take a day off work to call tech support as they only work 9:00 - 17:00 (UK GMT)..

What are the chances of it working again, can anyone say?

thanks in advance.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 08:53:17 AM »
It depends. I'd definitely suggest working with support, particularly if you're still under warranty.

If the problem is just that the firmware/boot files were corrupted somehow it is possible to re-install those without losing any data. If there's something physically wrong with the device or the drive things get more complicated.