Author Topic: How to configure LS-CH1.0TL for gigabit transfer?  (Read 3598 times)

stuffdone

• Calf
How to configure LS-CH1.0TL for gigabit transfer?
« on: January 09, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »
I have a LS-CH1.0TL but shows up on router as only 100MB which is too slow. How do I set this up for 1000MB  I find a setting for "frame size" but nothing there really helps me know how to set for gigabit LAN.

I am trying to copy assets for cgi program and it says will take 17 hours!  Speeds about 1.9Mbs on a gigabit network.

I see older threads that have no replies in over 6 years?  Is this forum dead or does anyone from Buffalo bother to help consumers at all?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:05:31 PM by stuffdone »

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: How to configure LS-CH1.0TL for gigabit transfer?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
Your LS-CH is at -least- 8 years old, and probably older - and shipped with a one year warranty. The fact that it's still drawing breath is a tribute to the ingenuity of hard drive manufacturers.

Also, I'm not sure what level of support you feel is reasonable 8+years after you buy a unit that offered 90 days of setup support. The forum is a community-driven environment. Texturtle and I reply when we have spare cycles. Him more than me.

I actually never supported these because they were EOL before I started here.

Anyway, I would guess that you have

1. a marginal ethernet cable,
2. a 10/100 switch, router, or hub. This seems a bit more likely considering your penchant for vintage computer hardware,
3. a problem with the unit (unlikely if it works at all)

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 02:26:59 AM »
You can not reduce the speed with the lnkstation.
Your router can do this.

But 1,9MB/s is to slow
your network is not error free

LS-CHLV2 rads with 24MB/s and writes with 12MB/s

Very small files can slow down the nas.
Please check the nas with the old version of ATTO 2.32
https://www.ht4u.net/download-details/234/1355/

this can check network drives

stuffdone

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:32:00 AM »
Why would I want to reduce speed????  My problem is how to INCREASE speed.

I am using a commercial 16 port switch and the router itself is actually not involved in this as I have DHCP off on NAS and set static IP address.  In fact when transferring over night I have a physical switch to disconnect my router/WAN from internet for security and only local network is running via switch.

mh1983

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:01 AM »
Asking the obvious: can the switch handle 1000 mbps throughput?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:03 AM »
I think oxygen8 was saying that there is no option on the linkstation to control the link speed in any direction, it uses auto-negotiation and will use the fastest speed that it and the switch can agree on.

like oxygen8/Eastmarch said, there are a number of reasons the linkstation and switch might negotiate 100mbps rather than 1000mbps. Among the most likely is a bad cable/bad physical connection. It's also conceivable your commercial switch has that port configured to 100M rather than auto negotiate for some reason.

Trying a different cable and/or running a network test and watching for dropped packets are among the things you could try. You could also test a different gigabit device on that port to try to rule out those type of issues.

as oxygen8 was saying, 2MB/s seems slow even for a 10/100 connection, depending on the protocol you're using. It's entirely possibly the 8+ year old drive is starting to fail and that is contributing to the speeds you're seeing.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:00 AM »
Marginal hard drive is actually a really good candidate for this. I think you may be assuming that a 100mbps connection is being negotiated, when that's not the issue at all.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

stuffdone

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »
Asking the obvious: can the switch handle 1000 mbps throughput?

Netgear GS116  gigabyte switch. It is an unmanaged switch so there are not logins or methods to change any settings. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS116E.aspx

I found a firmware download will see if switch is current in that regard. All other devices on that switch connect with impressive speed!  I did have one switch fail to connect to any 1gig device but the nice thing about this and Netgear is totally free lifetime replacement. I only pay postage to send to them and they will send replacement ahead of time so I dont have to go without.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »
most switches will show a different color on the connection LED between 1Gb and 100Mb, are you seeing that?

stuffdone

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 11:44:05 AM »
most switches will show a different color on the connection LED between 1Gb and 100Mb, are you seeing that?

Two LED on each port. none change color. One green one yellow.  But all connections to active ports show the same green led.
I believe in the prior post I indicated I had downloaded firmware etc. Seems that does not apply to this switch. My confusion. The ProSafe PLUS in managed the ProSafe ( no plus ) is not managed therefore there are no settings, it is auto negotiated out of the box.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »
You said the NAS shows up "on the router" as 100Mb. Is the NAS connected to a switch or the router? How does the router know what the network connection of a device that isn't attached directly to it?

stuffdone

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »
You said the NAS shows up "on the router" as 100Mb. Is the NAS connected to a switch or the router? How does the router know what the network connection of a device that isn't attached directly to it?
I assume the linkstation is looking at the router due to DNS which is actually disabled in favor of a static IP.

The linkstation is plugged directly into the switch not the router but since the router is also plugged into the same switch I have to assume that's why it appears there under its IP address. 

The router should not actually be having anything to do with the routing of traffic on LAN.

Given all devices have static IP's the only thing the router is really doing is providing connection to WAN and WiFi for my phones and smart tv etc.

//

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »
I have a LS-CH1.0TL but shows up on router as only 100MB which is too slow

How do you know this is happening/ where do you see this?

stuffdone

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 01:09:02 PM »
I have a LS-CH1.0TL but shows up on router as only 100MB which is too slow

How do you know this is happening/ where do you see this?

Router config when I inspect devices connected to network by IP address.  My PC's also appear there but as 1GB while the Linkstation appears as 100MB.  I only considered this a reference point since the traffic to Linkstation does not pass through the router...at least it should not.

stuffdone

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
Just as a side note I ordered an HP mini desktop $20 on eBay and I have a new 1TB drive and RAM laying around.  When that and the CPU appear I will have a whopping $58 out of pocket and plan to build a Windows based file server simply because it will all be NTFS and not have to use SAMBA which I assume Linkstations use for file serving to a Windows environment. The box comes with a COA so and I have disks so no prob there.

I will install in my entertainment center since it has HDMI and use for web access on SmartTV and as file server.  No conflict since if I'm working on pc I'm not watching TV  etc.  In that case I will relegate this Linkstation as a system/file backup location.