Author Topic: NAS LS210D & LS220D are terrible devices and support was worthless !  (Read 2809 times)

EPHarp

• Calf
I purchased a Raid LS220D (4TB x 2) and it failed after about 2 week, so I took it back!  I then decided to go with a non-Raid device and went with the LS210D 4TB.  I got it home and it would not work, support was worthless.  I could not access the settings on the device to set it up.  They wouldn't even think about debugging the issue or even try to look at it.   They said since I just bought it, it is MicroCenters problem(where I bought it) not Buffalos.  It's like they didn't give a flying %$&# about their own product.    It was sealed by Buffalo and not an open box item or anything, so is it NOT their problem.  An issue that I have is, I am disabled and can not drive. I have to pay someone to drive me to the store 40 miles away. So I have had to get someone to drive me there twice now.  I am on a fixed income so paying for this comes out of my food allowance for the month.  I asked buffalo if they would send me something to return this item and then send me a replacement item once this worthless one was received.  Their response was, it's not Buffalos problem, it is your problem and MicroCenters problem.   >:(   

The problem I had with the raid LS220 device was that it had bad sectors even before I put data on it.  I ran a scan on it when I first received it,  it took about 3 1/2 days(86 hours) to complete.  I ran a scheduled scan 2 weeks later and this one took just under 5 days(112 hours) to complete.  Buffalo said oh you just have to let it complete, it's just fixing bad sectors, they would do nothing about it. SUPPORT DOES NOT WANT TO DO ANY WORK AT THIS COMPANY.  If it is a new device, they just day take it back not our problem!!   Why is a brand new device have all of these bad sectors??  SuppoNothing could be done while this scan was running. 

Has anybody else encountered problems with these devices and their terrible LACK of support !

IF Buffalo's management wants to talk to me, they have my email address in my profile.  Send me an email and I will give you my phone number !!

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Re: NAS LS210D & LS220D are terrible devices and support was worthless !
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 01:23:32 AM »
All my Linkstations with bad drives will give you a red led warning after a claen restart.
A 24/7 running linkstation will not check the disks.

If your nas gives you the message demaged disk and you are on waranty, you can replace the nas.

EPHarp

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
The NAS device is NOT showing any error messages light.  It is showing a solid white status light.  It has been restarted with no problems!   But support refuses to help me, they are just lazy.  I called back another time and the person told me the previous person said to take it back so that's what you should be doing.  I ask him if there was anything I could do to help debug the issue and he said, WHE TOLD YOU to take it back and he wouldn't discuss it further.    If it was a problem with the disk, I would think there would be some kind of error status light on the device.   

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 12:05:04 PM »
Every hard drive has bad sectors. Back in the 80's when you bought a new drive, the first time you low level formatted it you had to specify where the bad sectors were. Modern drives have it programmed into the onboard controller. The drive is designed to remap bad sectors when possible without the drive failing. a few remapped sectors don't trigger the drive to report problems as long as they can be remapped without losing data.

The NAS will only report a drive failure if a) the drive self-reports as failed or b) the drive can't be detected.

Sounds like what you're seeing is normal operation.

EPHarp

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 12:53:12 PM »
Ok, I understand bad sectors and repairing them on first scan one, but the second scan took even longer 50% longer !!  On the 2nd device I can access the drive by clicking on the device and see and open the shared folder from navigator but I can not access the settings from Navigator.  I have tried reloading navigator !

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 07:59:07 AM »
Have you tried using a different browser?

EPHarp

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:23:00 AM »
I use edge as my browser.    When I used Navigator2 with the LS220, that part worked fine.  Are different versions of Navigator for each device?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:40:59 AM by EPHarp »

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »
The version of NAS Navigator is immaterial. I would just advise trying a different browser, like Chrome of Firefox, to access the UI if Edge isn't showing it to you and the LinkStation isn't indicating any errors.

EPHarp

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »
It doesn't work on either browser.  I found out that the Navigator that was supplied with this device is extremely out of date.   I am going to down load the most current navigator from Buffalo's website and try it.     

Well Well Well,  I updated the navigator to the current version, the User Interface NOW works fine on both edge and chrome !   This would have been simple to correct, instead Buffalo's support was just to darn lazy to help meThey wanted me to return the device instead, when the problem was just an outdated version of the user interface that was supplied on the disk with the device.  I wonder how many other devices were return to the vendor instead of support doing there job.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:06:57 AM by EPHarp »

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »
The version of NAS Navigator should have no impact on whether the browser correctly opens the settings. It merely sends an IP address to whatever the default browser is on the system. The only reason it ever gets updated is so that new devices display with the correct icon in the interface.