Author Topic: How to configure LS-CH1.0TL for gigabit transfer?  (Read 102 times)

stuffdone

• Calf
How to configure LS-CH1.0TL for gigabit transfer?
« on: January 09, 2019, 12:36:31 pm »
I have a LS-CH1.0TL but shows up on router as only 100MB which is too slow. How do I set this up for 1000MB  I find a setting for "frame size" but nothing there really helps me know how to set for gigabit LAN.

I am trying to copy assets for cgi program and it says will take 17 hours!  Speeds about 1.9Mbs on a gigabit network.

I see older threads that have no replies in over 6 years?  Is this forum dead or does anyone from Buffalo bother to help consumers at all?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:05:31 pm by stuffdone »

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: How to configure LS-CH1.0TL for gigabit transfer?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:59:39 pm »
Your LS-CH is at -least- 8 years old, and probably older - and shipped with a one year warranty. The fact that it's still drawing breath is a tribute to the ingenuity of hard drive manufacturers.

Also, I'm not sure what level of support you feel is reasonable 8+years after you buy a unit that offered 90 days of setup support. The forum is a community-driven environment. Texturtle and I reply when we have spare cycles. Him more than me.

I actually never supported these because they were EOL before I started here.

Anyway, I would guess that you have

1. a marginal ethernet cable,
2. a 10/100 switch, router, or hub. This seems a bit more likely considering your penchant for vintage computer hardware,
3. a problem with the unit (unlikely if it works at all)

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 02:26:59 am »
You can not reduce the speed with the lnkstation.
Your router can do this.

But 1,9MB/s is to slow
your network is not error free

LS-CHLV2 rads with 24MB/s and writes with 12MB/s

Very small files can slow down the nas.
Please check the nas with the old version of ATTO 2.32
https://www.ht4u.net/download-details/234/1355/

this can check network drives

stuffdone

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:32:00 am »
Why would I want to reduce speed????  My problem is how to INCREASE speed.

I am using a commercial 16 port switch and the router itself is actually not involved in this as I have DHCP off on NAS and set static IP address.  In fact when transferring over night I have a physical switch to disconnect my router/WAN from internet for security and only local network is running via switch.

mh1983

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:01 am »
Asking the obvious: can the switch handle 1000 mbps throughput?

• Debian Wizard
  • Tatanka
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:03 am »
I think oxygen8 was saying that there is no option on the linkstation to control the link speed in any direction, it uses auto-negotiation and will use the fastest speed that it and the switch can agree on.

like oxygen8/Eastmarch said, there are a number of reasons the linkstation and switch might negotiate 100mbps rather than 1000mbps. Among the most likely is a bad cable/bad physical connection. It's also conceivable your commercial switch has that port configured to 100M rather than auto negotiate for some reason.

Trying a different cable and/or running a network test and watching for dropped packets are among the things you could try. You could also test a different gigabit device on that port to try to rule out those type of issues.

as oxygen8 was saying, 2MB/s seems slow even for a 10/100 connection, depending on the protocol you're using. It's entirely possibly the 8+ year old drive is starting to fail and that is contributing to the speeds you're seeing.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:00 am »
Marginal hard drive is actually a really good candidate for this. I think you may be assuming that a 100mbps connection is being negotiated, when that's not the issue at all.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

stuffdone

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:46:10 am »
Asking the obvious: can the switch handle 1000 mbps throughput?

Netgear GS116  gigabyte switch. It is an unmanaged switch so there are not logins or methods to change any settings. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS116E.aspx

I found a firmware download will see if switch is current in that regard. All other devices on that switch connect with impressive speed!  I did have one switch fail to connect to any 1gig device but the nice thing about this and Netgear is totally free lifetime replacement. I only pay postage to send to them and they will send replacement ahead of time so I dont have to go without.