Author Topic: Terastation - System Error E04 Ė Canít load Kernel  (Read 222 times)

arsen

• Calf
Terastation - System Error E04 Ė Canít load Kernel
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:51:31 am »
I purchased many years ago the Buffalo Terastation, model HS-DH1.0TGL/R5, and had last weeks an access problem after an electric power failure due to thunderstorms in our region.

I was able to ping the Terastation but no luck with accessing to the share or web interface.

I tried several shutdowns and got each time the message   "System Error E04 Ė Canít load Krnel"   and the Terastation moved in the Emergency Mode. Pinging was possible but no other access.

I downloaded the latest available NASNavigator2.93, and it showed that the Terastation was in Emergency mode. The Terastation displayed the "EMDB3Ē code.

The notice on the Navigator was   "EM mode was detected. Update firmware or contact your local technical support".

I downloaded the latest TSUpdater and firmware (hs-dhtgl-up_214_102).

I ran the TSUpdater program and when it finally finished transferring, it returned the following error message :  HS-DHTGL-EMDB3 returns an error. (ACP_STATE_FAILURE). Updating is aborted."

On the Terastation the following error messages were displayed :
                HD3 Error E23     HD3 is faulty       with red light on HD3
and        OperationModeI12         Degrade Mode

I had no more access to the Terastation even no pinging was possible and I did a shutdown.

After rebooting, the message System Error E04 Ė Canít load Krnel was again displayed - no errors at Harddisk level - and the Terastation moved in the Emergency Mode.

As indicated in the forums to launch again the TSUpdatern I tried but I got the following error message
Couldnít confirm a response from HS-DHTGL-EMDB3
Please check a network addressof both PC and HS-DHTGL-EMDB3
Please disable the Firewall function if it is working on PC
Updating is aborted
The IP address displayed on the Terastation has not changed and it replies to the ping requests.

To conclude, I can no more launch the Update program and I am asking what should I do as next.
Any ideas ?
Thanks for your feedback

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: Terastation - System Error E04 Ė Canít load Kernel
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 05:32:21 pm »
Pull drive 3 out and see if it boots. If not, there isn't much else to do. If it does, back up your data immediately, if you don't have one.

--If that doesn't work--

If you need the data, I recommend contacting our Data Recovery team (US / Canada only). Local tech support can refer you to a recovery service in other regions.

https://www.buffalotech.com/data-recovery

If you just want the unit working, I don't mind telling you that I haven't the faintest idea how to recover the OS on that venerable old guy, or if there ever was a process.

It's dead, Jim. Time for a new one.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**