Author Topic: Users and no access  (Read 1348 times)

ghostly

• Calf
Users and no access
« on: December 29, 2018, 07:53:40 AM »
Hi!
I am having real problems with Linkstation 220d. I can not set it up properly.
Windows 10 has a user: John (admin)
Linkstation has users: Admin (default), guest (default), John
I can access folders that have rights for John and have passwordprotection, no password asked. Because win logs on without password, I want these folders to be behind password, in case someone else is on my computer.
At the same time, I can not access folders for users Guest or Admin at all. They are visible in explorer, but password is not accepted, when prompted. Even if I try to use different credentials. I can log on through browser with (nas) admin, but I can not access same user through explorer.
So basically, you can not use folders for different users, only for user same as winlogon, but even these folders are wide open without passwordprotection. Really?
I have been fighting this for two days now, this nas is quite useless. Have no problems with Zyxel nas. I did enable smb1 and did add in windows credential manager admin (for nas) and password.
Nasnavigator v. 2.93, linkstation software 1.70.
Can someone help or do I need to refund this Linkstation and stay away from Buffalo products?

ygtgngr

• Calf
Re: Users and no access
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »
I have issues with creating folders too. My problem is not being able to access stuff copied over FTP. Folders appear, content don't. I am very disappointed and I really wish I got a Synology instead.

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 04:43:02 AM »
Windows will connect with the user john and the stored password, so if the user on the Linkstation matches this, it will allow access to the folder without prompting for a password. On the other hand Windows will only allow one set of credentials per network device, I.e. If "John" is connected to a network share already, it is not possible to connect to a different share on the same device using different credentials than "John". A workaround is to mount one share using IP and one with the host name, as Windows will treat those separately.
Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris

ghostly

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 01:22:59 PM »
Thank yu for the answer. I did solve the problem by creating user "John2" on nas. =D