Author Topic: How to fix a bad drive  (Read 4234 times)

silver_mica

• Calf
How to fix a bad drive
« on: December 07, 2018, 04:58:37 PM »
Howdy,

I have a Buffalo NAS drive with a red light.  I believe it flashes three times.  Now, I am not 100% sure of the model  -  but I believe it's the Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo 2.   

So, what do I do?   Buy a hard drive and pop it in (replace the bad hard drive)?    Or, is there a procedure for rebuilding?

NAS Navigator 2 has this to say:

Error:
E30: An error has occurred on disk 1
I12: The RAID array works under degrade mode

I also took a screen capture:

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: How to fix a bad drive
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
Buy a new disk, put it into whichever bay is show the fault, reboot the unit, log onto the setting page and rebuild the RAID.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

silver_mica

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »
So, I take it I'd use NASNavigator to rebuild the RAID? 
Buy a new disk, put it into whichever bay is show the fault, reboot the unit, log onto the setting page and rebuild the RAID.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »
No, you do this via the settings page. System - Storage - Array1.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

silver_mica

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »
I don't know of anyway to access a settings page.  The only thing I know is that after plugging these NAS drives into the network they show up as a network drive (Windows Explorer).  My units are pretty old - are the manuals still around somewhere? 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »
Right click the picture of the Linkstation in the NAS Navigator -> Settings. Have a look through the manual.

silver_mica

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 06:39:00 PM »
Okay, so type the IP address assigned to the NAS in a browser to access the settings page. Or, as you have stated, through NASNavigator 2 right click on the drive icon and select "Open Web Settings"

Helpful tips:
default username and password (if a password has never been setup)
Username: admin
Password: password

Now that I'm in the settings page I can see that DISK 1 is bad (well there's a error with DISK 1).
However when I take apart the NAS unit nothing is marked that I can see indicating which disk is DISK 1 and which is DISK 2.   
I'd guess that the disk on the left is DISK 1 and the disk on the right is DISK 2.

The user manual as found through the Settings Page is fairly general and is written for 4 or 5 different models and I don't see anything in the manual identifying the physical location of DISK 1 or DISK 2.

At this point I could just buy a replacement hard drive and randomly replace one of the two while crossing my fingers, but I was hoping for something a little more solid.   

Should I take the red pill or the blue pill?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
Should be the one on the left.

If you shut the device down before removing a drive it wont really matter. If the device doesnt come up it means you guessed wrong, then you can poweroff and switch to the other.

silver_mica

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 07:57:16 AM »
Thanks @1000001101000

I plan to head out to the store today and buy a replacement drive today.  I wonder if this would be a good time to upgrade from a 2TB drive to something larger, say 4TB or even 8TB.