Author Topic: LS-V1 firmware update--how long does it take??  (Read 4735 times)

2bh

• Calf
LS-V1 firmware update--how long does it take??
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:08:18 PM »

Just installed and updating firmware, it has been at "Progress: Copying the firmware to the system area..." for nearly 2 hours!?!

Is this usual?

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: LS-V1 firmware update--how long does it take??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »

Make sure you have firewall and antivirus disabled.  Normally it takes 5 minutes or so.

Sammage

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:35:55 PM »

I've got the same issue going on. My computer firewall is off and has been since I started the update, but the progress just keeps spinning. I can still access the drive it looks like, would it do permanent damage to close the web interface window and reboot the NAS?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:45:06 PM »

Is this a manual update? If so it will take minutes.

But no, you are talking an update via web interface.

If it is a web update, then it can take hours, because 250 Mb have to be downloaded first.  In this case firewall and antivirus are meaningless.

You can shutdown your computer, but do not shut down your Linkstation.

2bh

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:15 AM »

This would seem to be correct. I udated through web interface, after 3 hours I closed the webpage (which it warned not to do) re-opened it at the firmware was updated. It only took about 10 minutes to do download the file.

Aparently the web portal was hung up on "Progress: Copying the firmware to the system area..." as the drive works fine as I never powered off the drive. I was behind my firewall w/ A/V running as well

Sammage

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »

I eventually just flipped off the webpage with the message myself. I verified that I could access the drive before doing so. When I went back into the admin console the firmware showed as having been updated. So, guess it was the message that hung not the actual update process.

603tech

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »
Wondering the same here. Linkstation LS-WX4 called for an update. Ran the update through the browser and now it is indicating "Updating Firmware... Please do not close or refresh this window until the firmware update is completed. Details - Progress: Downloading the firmware image from the internet..." It has been like this for over an hour. Should I reboot the unit or let it run it's course? When should I become concerned?

silver_mica

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 07:52:20 AM »
I had a similar situation updating firmware with on two different NAS drives - they were both the LinkStation Duo 2.   I had logged onto the settings page of each unit and begun the process of updating the firmware.   One page got stuck at

The machine must be restarted to enable the firmware settings. Please wait until the restart process is complete.

and the other got stuck at

Extracting the downloaded firmware image...

I waited about 12 hours - but the screens never changed.  Before doing anything I first checked to see if the drives were accessible & readable over the network - they were.   Next, I simply logged in using a new browser window (without closing the two stuck browsers that had been open for the past 12 hours).  From there each drive indicated that the firmware had been updated from 1.71 to 1.73.   

Now, I should say that I logged in to each NAS by entering the local IP address of each drive directly into the address bar of a browser window.  I did not launch the browser window through NASNavigator 2. In fact NASNavigator 2 was on a completely different machine.   I updated the firmware using Safari on a MacBook Pro.  Perhaps that caused the issue.  I couldn't say.