Author Topic: Active Directory and Sub-Folder and File Permissions  (Read 14392 times)

digitalpete

• Calf
Active Directory and Sub-Folder and File Permissions
« on: July 08, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »

Well....Here we go...

Server 2008 Domain Controller, Active Directory, Terastation II Pro Firmware 1.33

Here's an overview of what I need to accomplish followed by the issue I need help with:

- I need to create 2 shares: ShareA and ShareB

- All domain computers will be mapped to Z drive and Y drive respectively

- ShareA and ShareB represent 2 different companies

- I need to migrate ALL of CompanyA's folders to ShareA

- I need to migrate ALL of CompanyB's folders to ShareB

- There are over 1700 folders/sub-folders per company!

- Different folders, sub-folders, (and even some files) have different permission/access levels depending on the domain user or group.

So now the trouble starts...

I have joined my newly purchased Terastation II Pro to my domain and all my users/groups show up in the Terastation management web interface beautifully. I have created 2 new shares and mapped them successfully. Everything is working PERFECT...

...Until I try to set permissions to the "test" subfolders that I created from within Windows Explorer. From what I have read, sub-folders cannot be managed through Buffalo's interface. So I thought, "no problem" since I want to manage the shares through my domain controller anyway. Now the real problem - The subfolder attributes are showing as "read-only" (Only Applies To Files In Folder). Even WORSE -  When I right-click the sub-folder underneath the share and click the security tab, the only available permission is "Special Permissions" and the checkbox is grayed out.WTF?

So I click on the "Edit" button to modify the permissions. I add the Domain Admins Group successfully and now "read and execute" and all permissions beneath are checked, however, when I press "Apply' I get "Access is Denied.

Is there a way to manage folder permissions from the server - NOT from the Terastation interface??

If the answer is NO, then this means that I will have to create a share on the Terastation for every single folder and sub-folder on my network. This is completely impossible! Can anyone help me with a solution? Is it right in front of me and I can't see it? HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance,

digitalpete

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Active Directory and Sub-Folder and File Permissions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
You cannot use the access restrictions from the server and you cannot set restrictions on sub folders

digitalpete

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:29:30 AM »

PCPiranha - If what you are saying is true, then quite frankly, the Terastation is going back. It's great that it integrates with Active Directory, but without the ability to drill down into sub-folders and files - what's the point? I'm sending the Terastation back as soon as I finish typing this response. End of story.

Thanks for your brief, but direct response.

- digital pete

jtilson

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:08:25 PM »

Wow, I am agreed on this. If I cannot set file permissions in the sub folders this device is basically useless as a enterprise level device.

Please Buffalo Tech fix this!!

dgkelp

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »
   Due to the fact that the file system in the devices are XFS it is impossible to transfer folder/file level permissions over on the device.  Those permissions are windows based permissions ipso facto do not work with a Linux based OS.

schase

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »

I totally agree with digitalpete. Without these features this device is pretty much useless for a network admin. I guess if you needed a mass storage device to dump misc files, but as far as true active directory integration and file/folder management - it sucks without subfolder permission management.

Why not fix this?

I am sending ours back. Just open it out of the box and within 30 minutes figured this flaw out. Bummed. Didn't get the device/features I thought I was buying.

schase

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »

Just got off the phone with support and confirmed it is impossible. Won't work.

:manmad:

schase

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:33:15 AM »
   Buffalo should really consider changing their technology to support this need. OR at least advertise this limitation. Subfolder and file level permission is kinda of a must have in most file server and storage roles.

schase

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:34 AM »
   How about a simple consumer alert/warning/notice : "This product does not support Windows subfolder or file level permissions." I would have appreciated the upfront honesty.

schase

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:35:08 AM »
   Has anyone found a replacement product that is working for them?

digitalpete

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:36:09 AM »

I just PM'd you with a solution.  ;-)

- digitalpete

schase

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »

Thanks! The ********* product looks like a much better solution for my needs! 

Thanks again.

rx8pilot

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:22 AM »
   With no attempt at all to apply permisions.....i can't drill down into a folder. They are all read-only. Is this caused by the same limitation?

digitalpete

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 08:44:32 AM »

I' m not really clear on your question, but from the Buffalo interface, you cannot drill down into the share. You will need to create the sub-folders from Windows. All permissions propagate from the primary share created on the Buffalo interface and cannot be modified. (At least that was my experience. If anyone else in this forum can do otherwise, please chime in.)

- digitalpete

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 04:40:52 PM »
That is correct digitalpete.