Author Topic: Linkstation LS-C500L as ftp server  (Read 2753 times)

akr

• Calf
Linkstation LS-C500L as ftp server
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »

Hi,

I have Linkstation LS-C500L connected to a Local area network. I would like to use it as ftp server to access the files remotely. Is it possible? do I need any software?

Thanks!

AK

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation LS-C500L as ftp server
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »
You need to enable the shared folders for FTP, forward ports 20 and 21 and you do need to have an FTP client (something like filezilla)

akr

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:48:19 AM »

PCPiranha,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know how to do that. I cannot see that option in webadmin->Web Access-> folder or service setup. If you have some knowledgebase link please forward.

Regards,

AK

Hurley

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »
   I don't think the LinkStation EZ has that capability.  It does not have a built-in FTP server

akr

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »

How can I make it ftp capable?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »
This model does have FTP.  Log into the Web admin page and go to share folders.  Under there click on service setup and enable the FTP server.  Also after that you will have to go to Share Folders and click on each share folder you want FTP for and make sure the box is checked for FTP.  But as stated before you will have to open the ports 20,21 on your router.

akr

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »

JoshC,

Thanks for youyr reply. Yes I can see the FTP option now. Please guide me how to open port 20,21 and forward to router. You may be having some link to KB.

Regards,

AK

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:08:09 AM »

Every router is different.  You will probably have to log into your router's web interface.  It's common (though not guaranteed) that your router might reside at 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.100.1, or 192.168.10.1. 

Once you log into your router, you'll have to find the port forwarding configuration screen.  Then you'll forward ports 20 and 21 to the IP address of your Linkstation, and open those two ports in the router's firewall.

Frankly, if all this is too complex for you, I wouldn't suggest doing it at all.  The fact is that when you start opening ports on your firewall, you expose part or all of your LAN to potential abuse from the outside world.

For example, let's say you manage to set up your router correctly, and set up the LinkStation to handle FTP services.  But you fail to properly restrict access to the FTP available share.  Well, then someone on the outside may be able to read your files, or worse, delete, alter, or add files to your drive without your authorization.  

However, if you are able to configure your router correctly, and the linkstation correctly in every way, the LinkStation's FTP services are convenient and secure.