Author Topic: Accessing files on hard drives  (Read 2477 times)

japalm

• Calf
Accessing files on hard drives
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »

I have a 1TB Linkstation Pro Duo configured as a mirror. After a power outage my linkstation wasn't accessible. Tech support diagnosed a bad controller and I have to RMA. However, I need to get files from the drives ASAP.

I am trying to access them using SLAX linux. I can see the drives under my /MNT directory, but the only thing showing is the Lost+Found folder (which is empty). I find it hard to believe that both of these drives would be empty. Am I missing something in my efforts to locate the files on the disks?

Any help or insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Accessing files on hard drives
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »

I recommend contacting a data recovery center. We suggest DriveSavers ( http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/ ), and if you are in North America and can provide proof of service from them, we can still RMA the device regardless of what they have to do to it.

You could try running xfs_repair on the data partition, but this could cause more damage to the data, so I wouldn't recommend it.

You may just need to mount the data partition with the -t flag to specify XFS as the filesystem. Check my post here: http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=10450&query.id=76829#M10450

Message Edited by Colin137 on 07-07-2009 03:59 PM

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:23:53 PM »
   Ae you still under warranty for this product?

japalm

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:33:13 AM »
   Yes, still under warranty. But does that cover data recovery?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »

The warranty does not cover data, it only covers the hardware itself.

As I noted in my previous post, if you are in North America and can provide proof of service from DriveSavers,we can still warranty the device regardless of what they have to do to it. You will still be responsible for the cost of the data recovery, though.