Author Topic: NAS to receive backups, versus NAS + backup.  (Read 1273 times)

NASturtium

NAS to receive backups, versus NAS + backup.
« on: July 07, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »
Time to get serious about some central network storage and backup on my home network.  The usual - various laptops and Pc's and a router.

What to do?

First, let me exclude USB drives.  I'm looking only at networked units so they can be physically placed anywhere.

I see two main approaches:

1. Each computer continues to hold all its usual data on its local hard drive, and each one is individually backed up to an external drive on the network.
Sounds fairly straight forward, but leaves data all over the place.  And each computer is limited to holding whatever will fit on its internal hard drive.

2. Most data is moved to an external central drive, and computers can access those files when they want to work with them, and it's the central drive that is backed up to another network drive.
Centralizes data better.  Very good for, say, a large collection of photos and documents.  But requires two separate network drives.  And will a NAS unit back itself up to another?

Do people with more NAS experience than me see any other glaring pros or cons to either approach?

Thanks.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: NAS to receive backups, versus NAS + backup.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 09:08:56 AM »
All Buffalo NAS devices will back up to other Buffalo NAS units. The TeraStation 3010/5010 series will back up to some non-Buffalo devices (if they can act as a standard rsync server).

Either of those options will work, it's just a matter of how you want to set things up. All Buffalo NAS devices come with licenses for Novastor's NovaBackup software for Windows.