Author Topic: Reinstalling to an out-of warranty NAS with blank drives  (Read 29641 times)

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Reinstalling to an out-of warranty NAS with blank drives
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2020, 07:49:01 pm »
Nice!

would you be interested in writing up the procedure so I can add it to the wiki?

makenov

• Calf
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2020, 09:18:48 pm »
Hi 1000001101000,

I would like to do that!

English is not my native language so it may take me some working days. I will write down a little bit day by day.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2020, 10:18:57 pm »
Great!

Once you put that together I'll add some notes on how to use some linux console tools as well.

FrankC

• Calf
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2020, 06:53:02 pm »
Lee Macky
Thanks so much for this:

"changed my PC's IP and netmask to match--this was in the 169.254.0.0/16 range."

The tftp worked fine, but when I ran  LSUpdater.exe, I could not communicate with the LS410D until I changed my PC ip address to be in the range of the NAS.  It then rebooted and picked another IP address and I again had to change my PC to match.  But after all that, I was able to get into the web admin interface and set up the unit.

Thanks again

makenov

• Calf
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2020, 08:38:03 pm »
Hi 1000001101000,

Firstly, I apologize because I could not keep my promise to deliver the instruction soon enough. Covid 19 hits hard on my location and the last 8 weeks were a nightmare for me, extremely exhausted. I just start my holiday leave today. So here my instruction, my English is not so good, if you feel something confusing, please tell me, I will try to do it better.

1. SOFTWARE:
   CH431 programmer: https://www.win-raid.com/t796f16-Guide-Using-CH-A-based-programmer-to-flash-SPI-EEPROM.html
   HxD hex editor: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

2. PREPARING THE CH431 CHIP PROGRAMMER
    You need to check the datasheet of the bootloader chip to confirm the chip operating voltage (5v or 3.3v). applying the wrong voltage can damage the chip and corrupt the bootloader data.
    If you have the generic CH431 chip programmer similar to this
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R5LPTYM
    please make sure the chip programmer can operate at the correct voltage level when you change the jumper position, some chip programmers have faulty design and only work in 5v mode.
    You also need to check the datasheet of the bootloader chip to confirm the chip operating voltage (5v or 3.3v). applying the wrong voltage can damage the chip and corrupt the bootloader data.

How to check if you got a faulty programmer and how to fix it to work in 3.3v mode (little soldering skill required) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ln3VIZKKaE
    How to use the chip pro programmer
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/12230-some-guide-how-to-use-spi-programmer-ch341a/
    NOTE: red wire of the CH431 programmer clip must be connected to pin 1 of the IC

How to determine PIN 1 of the chip (source: internet)

3. BACKING UP THE ORIGINAL BOOTLOADER FROM THE ROM CHIP

You if you can read the data from the bootloader chip, please save a backup of this file. I call it the old bootloader file.

4. EXTRACTING THE UP THE NEW BOOTLOADER FROM FIRMWARE UPDATE PACKAGE
    Download the firmware update package for your NAS, change the extension  the u-boot.img to u-boot.zip.
    After extracting the zip file you will have a folder contain multiple *.bin files for different nas models. In my case, I pick the u-boot_lswxl.bin file for my model.

5. PREPARING THE NEWLY EXTRACTED BOOTLOADER FOR FLASHING
    Using a hex editor, you can compare both backed up and newly extracted *.bin files. You can see that the backed up bootloader*.bin file is slightly larger than the newly extract *.bin file    because the backed up *.bin file contains additional important information, such as MAC address ( xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx format), serial number, and other configuration of your NAS.
    You need to copy all these additional information from the backed up *.bin to the newly extracted *.bin file or your NAS cannot work. Make sure these additional information are pasted into the exact begining address ( or offset) and save your modified *.bin file.

Left - newly extracted *.bin file, Right -  backed up *.bin file

If you flashed the chip successfully, the NAS power LED and function LED can change state and color when the NAS is booting up. NAS Navigator may detect the NAS in Emergency Mode, and you may need to modify the LSupdater.ini to force the NAS to update the firmware. Please follow Buffalo official instruction for further steps.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2021, 10:30:57 am »
Fantastic!

I'll add it to the wiki when I get a moment.