Author Topic: TS-XL/R5 and power cuts...  (Read 1718 times)

DJ_Enigma

• Calf
TS-XL/R5 and power cuts...
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:56:38 AM »
Hi all,

I have the above NAS and I'm looking for a way to protect it if I have a power cut. The reason I have it in the first place is as a backup target for a server which I recently lost a few HDDs in because of a powercut.

I'm assuming that a powercut can cause the same sort of damage to the NAS and I'd like to put measures in place to make sure it doesn't

I've taken care of the server buy purchasing a UPS and the server now shuts itself down in event of a powercut. The NAS and all of my other IT equipment is plugged into the UPS, but I only have about 20 minutes of run time on the battery.

Is there any way I can script a shutdown of this device so I can have the server or UPS run a script to shut it down before the battery on the UPS runs out?

Thanks,

DJ

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: TS-XL/R5 and power cuts...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
If you have a compatible UPS for the Terastation then it should gracefully shut it down once the UPS battery runs out, this can be configured on the management page of the Terastation.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »
Davo is correct, but it does mean that the UPS needs to have a data connection to the TeraStation. It sounds like you currently have the data connection on the UPS connected to the server.

DJ_Enigma

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 04:30:41 AM »
Hiya, yeah it's not a fancy UPS it's an APC BX700UI Back-UPS 700VA with a USB only data connection which is connected to the server and uses PowerChute to shutdown the server. I can configure tasks/scripts to be run in PowerChute in the event of a power outage, I just don't know how to make a script to shut down the NAS... or if that's even possible.

Cheers,

DJ