Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo Connection Problems  (Read 4677 times)

winchymatt

• Calf
LinkStation Pro Duo Connection Problems
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:05:55 AM »

I have recently purchased this LinkStation LS-WTGL unit which I have configured as a Raid1 device. However, I am haveing some serious troubles in using the NAS drive, as it seems the connection to the drive keeps failing.

The Firmware version on the device is 3.09, and the settings are as default.

I can usually see the device using teh NAS Navigator, but can't always view the shared files, and/'or connect to the web server. Sometimes I can see the shared files on one of my network computers but can't access the NAS web server. Then sometimes all is working fine for a few minutes and then when I go to save some work the NAS has dissapeared again!!! driving me nuts!

I have tried re-configuring the network, I have used a DHCP router, I have removed the router and configured fixed IP addresses, I have used two different switches, but I get the same unpredictable results from the NAS.

Please help.. before I throw this unit out the window!

kevin

• El Toro
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo Connection Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:23:54 AM »

winchymatt wrote:

I have tried re-configuring the network, I have used a DHCP router, I have removed the router and configured fixed IP addresses, I have used two different switches, but I get the same unpredictable results from the NAS.

Please help.. before I throw this unit out the window!

When you say you have "removed the router", did you mean that you removed DHCP? OR did you actually remove the router and had the LS plugged into your comp both with fixed IP addresses?

What operating system do you have?

When you connect to it, are you doing it by going to Start> Run> \\IP address of LS?

Try turning OFF ALL your firewalls (Windows Firewall, Antivirus software Firewall)

For now the only other things I can suggest would be:

-Force Update the Firmware

-Log into the web interface> Maintanence> Initialization> Restore to Defaults (this will restore all settings, but does not touch the data).

winchymatt

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 05:29:07 AM »

I removed the DHCP router and connected the LS tomy computer via a switch, I then gave the computer and LS a fixed IP address. Currently I'm back to using the DHCP server in the router, I was just trying to eliminate possibly problems.

One odd thing is that sometimes I can bring up the file browser by double clicking on the LS icon in the NAS Navigator, but if I try to browse to the LS using explorer and clicking on the LS network icon, I get a connection error.. ??

I will try a reset to defaults and force update.

Running XP SP3.

Message Edited by winchymatt on 07-06-2009 05:29 AM

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:37:57 AM »

If you are able to access the web GUI, go to disk Managment and make sure the RAID configuration says configured RAID 1. 

You can try the restore to defaults first, but if you do force update FW, you will need to restore to defaults again after updating.

winchymatt

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:45:33 AM »

Yes the drive does say configured as Raid1

Status
Normal

RAID Mode
RAID1

Disk Structure
Disk 1, 2

Total Capacity
480,348,864 kbytes (458.10 GB)

Amount Used
430,212 kbytes (0.41 GB)

Percent Used
0.09 %

File Format
XFS

I have rset to defaults, still the same issues.

I just tried mapping the remote share to a drive letter using the NAS Navigator, this also fails with the error "Remote default share is missing." So do I need to set a default? if so how?

Currently I have created one shared folder called WORK which I can see using the NAS Navigator browse function.

I'm currently downloading the firmware updater.

winchymatt

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:52:12 AM »
   Switched off windows firewall, this has made no difference.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 06:19:39 AM »

winchymatt wrote:

Yes the drive does say configured as Raid1

Just making sure because a lot of times people forget the second step after "changing" the array.

How long ago did you configure the RAID?

Are there any info/error lights on the fron of the LS?

Did you delete or rename the default share folder that was on there, or did you create another share?

winchymatt

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 06:25:26 AM »

I configured the device as a RAID1 as soon as I got it out of the box.

As far as I can tell it is configured correctly, as listed in my previous post, these are the status settings coppied directly from the web admin page.

I created a new share, I did not touch the info share, it still exists.

I have now force updated the firmware, reset to default, and then set my work group to MICROMAGIC to match my network.

But still I can't access LS via windows exploere, I can see it.. but clicking on the LinkStation icon causes an "Network Path Not Found" error. ?

There is a green power light and a green network light on the front of the LS.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 06:37:11 AM »

Run the NAS Navi to find the IP address of the unit and then go Start> Run> \\IP address... Does that find it?

If not, try Formatting the drive through the web interface. or by rebuilding partition table with the firmware update (found in the Debug options).

If yes, then it is a Windows issue with explorer not finding it, as explorer is not always that reliable.

What are the lights on the front of the unit doing?

Can other computers on the network access it, or do they have the same issues?

winchymatt

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 06:46:46 AM »

kevin wrote:

Run the NAS Navi to find the IP address of the unit and then go Start> Run> \\IP address... Does that find it?

No, Network device not found. But like I say, occasionaly it does!

I have tried this on several machines on our network.. all behave the same.

What are the lights on the front of the unit doing?

Can other computers on the network access it, or do they have the same issues?

Power light is constand green.

Network light is flickering green on access.

I can ping the LS from all computers on the network.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 07:20:51 AM »
Set an IP on the LS (192.168.11.150) and set one on your computer (192.168.11.155). Plug the LS directly into your comp (no switch) and reboot both devices, maybe boot your comp into Safe Mode with Networking (if this is a wireless comp, turn off the wireless).  See if the Navi can find it then. Try accessing both the data and web interface. If still no go, try Formatting the drive through the web interface. or by rebuildingpartition table with the firmware update (found in the Debug options).

winchymatt

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 08:18:11 AM »

Ok,

I have re-fromatted, re-set, re-booted, and re-loaded firmware, and still I have unpredictable behaviour from this device. I'm no network expert, but nor am I inexperienced, but this thing is driving me nuts!

I'm sending it back!

Thanks for the help

Matt.