Author Topic: terra station dead except for blinking diag light.  (Read 7755 times)

Mark3101

• Calf
terra station dead except for blinking diag light.
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:04:30 PM »

When I try to start the unit, it starts spinning the drives and after a bit it blinks 5 times every four or five seconds....what is that?  It happened after a failed firmware update.  Update failed and would not work again.  Diag light was on steady.  Had a power failure and now it blinks as above.

Any fix or is this thing toast????

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: terra station dead except for blinking diag light.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:20:36 AM »
   Which Terastation? If it is one of the old silver ones then that would indicate a flash/rom error
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Mark3101

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:40:24 AM »
   Yes, the original silver one.   So, how does one fix the flash rom if that is what is wrong with the unit?  I have seen nothing in the meager documentation supplied with the unit on any fixes....
Message Edited by Mark3101 on 10-31-2008 10:43 AM

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 10:31:23 AM »

You can try to boot it up in EM mode.  Hold the init button in the back at the same time the unit is booting.  Then you can try to force the firmware.

How to force the firmware

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=21935#M277

Mark3101

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »

"You can try to boot it up in EM mode.  Hold the init button in the back at the same time the unit is booting.  Then you can try to force the firmware.

How to force the firmware

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=21935#M277"

No cigar.  Won't do anything at all.  Goes into EM mode, but will not do anything else and the link you posted is worthless as much of it doesn't show up.  

Does ANYONE have any ideas on this thing?  I am about ready to toss it in the trash.  I can not even get through to the live tech support...sit on hold forever with no answer. 

Nukeman10

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »

I've got it to flash, but the products still has many issues. Turn off your firewall if your trying to re-flash the FW. That was my problem.

jasonj

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

I have the same issue. I have a diag light flashing 5 times. I read that this is a rom issue and re-flashing will help.

I've powered the unit into EM mode I think (flashing power and diag together) but the unit does no more than that. There is no network connection and so I dont understand how the flashing process would work as it broadcasts to find the unit.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Jason

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 01:26:23 PM »

Mark3101

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »

Paul wrote:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=52997#M277

copy and past for directions on how to force the firmware

Well, as I said before, this is all a waste of time since the link is broken and you can not see over half of the stuff it is supposed to show.

HOW DOES ONE GET IT TO WORK WHEN IT WON'T TALK TO THE NETWORK?  your PC can not find it and it won't do a **bleep** thing.   It appears that there is NO WAY to talk to the device and no way to flash it when it pukes out.  The EM mode is useless as **bleep** on a bull.  It does NOTHING at all.

This thing is junk.  Time to chuck it in the can and go get something from a vendor who knows how to build something that actually works as advertised.

dw9357

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 07:36:08 PM »
   I just started seeing the same problem. I tried to plug-in a USB drive to my terastation. I heard a click from the box and it froze. After rebooting the box I get the flashing DIAG light (5 times every few seconds).

I also can't use the supplied solution. The box won't come up on the network. The network LED is off and staying off. Even with a direct connect cable the box shows no sign of network life (this isn't a case of the IP being wrong. the adapter just isn't listening).

Am I hosed? You guys that saw the same issue -- did you figure something out?

TIA

dw9357
Message Edited by dw9357 on 12-20-2008 07:37 PM

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 11:33:37 AM »

The unit sits on 192.168.11.150 by default.  So if you connect a PC directly to the NAS and set a static IP within range of the subnet then you should be able to ping it and flash the firmware.

To force the firmware open the INI file with note pad 

add 

[SpecialFlags]

Debug = 1

Then change the 

[Flags]

VersionCheck = 0 (change from the 1) 

Save your changes and run the exe file again. 

jasonj

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 01:35:33 PM »

Well I made the move. I borrowed an identical unit from a friend (luckily) and put my drives straight into it. I was surprised that the config of the unit (IP Address, name etc) was written to the drives and not saved to an EPROM/NVRAM on the broken board but hey. Plugged in the drives, connected to the network and job done. Copied the data straight across to my new Drobo and old unit has been thrown into the bin.

Thanks for the help here within this forum. Just hope the Drobo tech support proves to be so helpful and friendly.

Good luck everyone.