Author Topic: Low write speed on Terastation TS-XEL R5  (Read 3007 times)

ilmelo

• Calf
Low write speed on Terastation TS-XEL R5
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
Hi,
I recently bought a second hand but fully working Terastation TS-XEL R5 which was connected to a renderfarm as apple time machine backup to use it on my small in-house renderfarm.
The problem is that despite everything I tried to set it up this NAS performs really slow.
The NAS has 4 seagate barracuda 7200 500 GB disks. I tried to configure it via web app as a RAID 0 NAS (it was configured like this as I bought it). I formatted and created a shared folder and shared it on my LAN.
I tried RAID 0, jumbo frames, two link cable, ecc. but nothing changes.
Transfer rate is around 12-18 MB/sec, with peaks of around 30 MB/sec. I tried copying big large files (2 to 14 GB each) to check continuous write speeds but speed is always around those values.
The NAS is connected to a Cisco SG100-24 Gigabit switch that connects all my 6 rendering PCs (4 dual Xeons and 2 i7). All PCs perform well with write/read speeds that tops the gigabit interface at around 100-120 MB/sec. (PC to PC, disk to disk).
All PCs O.S. is Windows 7 SP1.
I unmounted one of the disks and connected it to a SATA to USB3 connector to one of the PCs and the disk write speed reached 148 MB/sec!
One thing I do when I connect a new disk to my PCs (via SATA or USB) is to change the cache settings in the disk properties and it helps with performances but I cannot do this on the NAS disks. Is there a way to do this? Could this help?
Can you please help configuring this NAS? Is there anything I can do to reach at least a 60-80 MB/sec write speed? I would like to use this NAS as a rendering output folder for the render PCs, but at this moment is a real bottleneck and everything is slow.
Please help, thank you

Luca
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:30:54 PM by ilmelo »

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Re: Low write speed on Terastation TS-XEL R5
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »
30MByte/sec is normal for this old device

the report from 2011
http://www.mountainprophet.de/2011/12/01/buffalo-terastation-es-einsteiger-nas-im-test/

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: Low write speed on Terastation TS-XEL R5
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
TS-XE was the 'value' NAS of its time, much like the TS1000 is today. They were not fast, but we sold bunches.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**