Author Topic: Failed firmware update from 4.31 to 4.40 on LS520DE (54)  (Read 2136 times)

timesnaps

• Calf
Failed firmware update from 4.31 to 4.40 on LS520DE (54)
« on: October 30, 2018, 10:38:57 AM »
I just got this empty NAS from the Link Station series. Its labelled on the back as Model: LS520DE. It was purchased in China. Box seems to indicate it was from the Singapore market, and all was well, until I went to upgrade the firmware. Downloaded version 4.40 from from the Buffalo site, as the one it came with was 4.31.

I saved the .img file to the shared directory, and went to upgrade through the web interface. It went through the motions, but never even started the process. I restarted and this time after hitting "Appl" it went through the motions and showed the page with the progress bar, but never completed it (waited over 10min for it), and also did a refresh from the NAS Navigator app.

I read on the support pages, that it may need to be done again, but I can no longer access the GUI of the NAS online. It still shows in NAS Navigator, and tells me there is a E04 Error (corrupted firmware) and advice is to re-install the firmware. When I switch it on, it just continuously blinks red, regardless of whether I have HD's in there or not.

As per your manual, I have downloaded both the v4.31 and 4.40 recovery image from the Japanese server (here: http://86886.jp/ls500-r/ ), and copied it to the root directory of a fresh formatted FAT32 USB, and renamed it to "install.img".  Then plugged this USB into the back of the LS520, and switched on the power (with network and HD's plugged in), but still the same.

What else?! Anyone care to help? This is a brand new product!

(Info, using a Mac laptop with OS X v12.x, both HD's are new, unformatted), one formatted HD for the NAS is currently not available to me)

UPDATE: Seem that the USB stick formatted on the Mac (MS DosFAT) was not working. I formatted the same stick on a Windows 10 laptop and after copying the Recovery firmware v4.31 back onto it, and renaming it to "install.img" things worked. Just wondering whether to upgrade to v4.40 again, or leave it alone for the time being.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 10:56:47 PM by timesnaps »